Link

Collection (231)
    Collection (1237)
    DVD Collection
    Players: LG BH200, Sony BDP-S790, Panasonic DMP-BDT100
    Display: Panasonic VIERA TC-P54VT25
    Audio: Pioneer VSX-1120-K receiver, Polk DSW Pro 600 sub

lgans316 is offline Member

Director's cut or Theatrical ? I hope FOX offers both cuts via seamless branching.
    Blu-ray : 289 + [1 + 1 + 8 + 2*]

alkalinesi is offline Member

just watched this movie on HBO today. very confusing for my first time. i loved it though. i did have to go on imdb after to kinda piece it all together. ill deff pick this up.
    40" sony 1080p / 40" sony KDL40v4100
    panny BD10A and sony s350 player
    pioneer elite 91 TXH receiver / panamax m4300
    polk RTi10 fronts/ polk DSWpro 600/ polk LSiC center
    panny ae2000u projector/ elite 106" screen
    ps3 60 gig/ onkyo 7.1 SR-800 HTIB
    368 blu rays 25 ps3 games
    ps network ID- alkalinesi

Quote Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post
    Director's cut or Theatrical ? I hope FOX offers both cuts via seamless branching.
    +1. I'd think this would be the case, especially given the entirely new (and very, very cool) cover art for this release: were it just the theatrical or extended, they'd likely repurpose the cover art from those releases for marketing consistency's sake. Here's hoping.

A really great feature would be a way to reedit the DC, which makes some improvements over the TC but goes far, far too far in literalizing the time-travel tropes (and changes some music around that worked well in the TC). Sounds reasonable, right?

e-x
    e-x is offline Member

the link shows "Widescreen 2.35:1 Color / Production Year: 2004 / Director's Cut"

I'd be fine with just the director's cut, would not be fine with just the theatrical cut.

MSX2 is offline Founding Member

Crap, I was hoping it's the original theatrical cut. I may have to re-consider... then again, the DVD's of both editions were dreadful.

Here is the current info fox has given us:
    Audio: English: 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio
    Language: Dubbed: English / Subtitled: English & Spanish
    Aspect Ratio: Widescreen: 2.35:1

Episodes-Bonus Features:
    **Theatrical Version
    **Directors Cut Version

**Special Features:
    *Theatrical: Commentary with Writer/Director Richard Kelly and Jake Gyllenhaal
    *Theatrical:Commentary with Cast and Crew
    *Directors Cut: Commentary with Writer Director Richard Kelly and Director Kevin Smith

**Donnie Darko Production Diary (with optional commentary by Director of Photography Steven Poster)
    **"They Made Me Do It Too" - The Cult of Donnie Darko
    **Storyboard-to-Screen Featurette
    **#1 Fan: A Darkomentary
    **Director’s Cut Theatrical Trailer

I thought this movie was way over rated. I didn't care for it.
    Samsung LN46A650A1F Yamaha RX-V1900
    Klipsch RF-52 Fronts, RC-52 Center, RS-42 Surrounds, and RSW-10D Subwoofer
    : 80 Gig with Dualshock 3
    : 172 titles (no more coming by mail)
    Most recent purchase[s]: Too many to type. One of those weeks, lol.

PSN: Leftoverchinese

RandellG is offline Member

Never seen it
    Project-Blu: the new stop for Blu-ray reviews, news, articles, insider info,and the Amazon pre-order page.

Project-Blu on Facebook: Come and "LIKE" us.

Arturo Lugo is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by dvdandblu-raymovies View Post
    Episodes-Bonus Features:
    **Theatrical Version
    **Directors Cut Version
    Yeah!

Must buy! I hope the song selection remains as originally done for each version, too!

And for anyone who has yet to see it, give it a shot. It will probably confuse you the first time around, but once you wrap your head around it, you'll love it. It has some really genius storytelling in it.

Actually, I wonder if the Director/Screenwriter was aware of the complexity of what he was doing. In some interviews, he just laughs about it all, but if you dig philosophy, this one offers very good food for thought.

I suddently got the urge to listen "Head over Heels", by Tears for Fears.
    Excited for the start of the UHD era

HT room - 5.1.2 setup:
    Samsung UN55HU9000 + SEK 3500U , Onkyo TX-NR646 , Elemental Designs fronts/center/sub + Polk rears/ceiling speakers || PS4, PS3, Xbox One S, Xbox 360, Wii U, 3DS

Bedroom - 2.1 setup:
    Sony KDL-46EX523 + Samsung HW-H550 Soundbar || Sony BDP-S380, Google Chromecast

Content is king!

OneManShow is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by MSX2 View Post
    Crap, I was hoping it's the original theatrical cut. I may have to re-consider... then again, the DVD's of both editions were dreadful.
    yeah, this is one of the few times where the theatrical version is superior IMO. It appears both versions are on the blu-ray. Don't think I'll double dip for this one since I already own the theatrical and director's cut on DVD. I should have rented the director's cut... I watched it once and that was enough.

If you have not seen it, Cox Cable San Diego is showing it in HD for free in the Free Zone HD On Demand until 10/31/08.
    Just watched it about 4 nights ago. The way I saw it, he is either a psychic or can travel back thru time.
    Laissez-Faire

Quote Originally Posted by Quadrophonic View Post
    If you have not seen it, Cox Cable San Diego is showing it in HD for free in the Free Zone HD On Demand until 10/31/08.
    Just watched it about 4 nights ago. The way I saw it, he is either a psychic or can travel back thru time.
    Or, more interestingly (for me), he might be schizophrenic. The DC makes that reading (a valid one in the theatrical cut) a veritable impossibility, which is one of the major problems I have with that version: while it's far more complex in its own, emphasized explanation of what's going on, it also shuts out the many other interpretive/analytical roads, making it ultimately less interesting across the board. I'm SO glad that both cuts are included.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by Arturo Lugo View Post
    Actually, I wonder if the Director/Screenwriter was aware of the complexity of what he was doing. In some interviews, he just laughs about it all, but if you dig philosophy, this one offers very good food for thought.
    It's always been my contention that Richard Kelley channelled all of the ideas for this movie from some other, deeply mysterious source out there in the universe. If you listen to his three audio commentaries, it's painfully clear that he has no idea what the movie he wrote and directed is actually about. The Director's Cut is like Kelley's attempt to impose his own personality and dumb ideas onto this material whose genesis he will never really comprehend.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Cymbol is offline formerly Blu Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    It's always been my contention that Richard Kelley channelled all of the ideas for this movie from some other, deeply mysterious source out there in the universe. If you listen to his three audio commentaries, it's painfully clear that he has no idea what the movie he wrote and directed is actually about. The Director's Cut is like Kelley's attempt to impose his own personality and dumb ideas onto this material whose genesis he will never really comprehend.
    After the second viewing, I found the movie to be quite comprehensible with a specific set of events that were set up in fantastic fashion. It's not until a second viewing that you realize how things were specifically manipulated to make the story progress as it did.

The only issue I have with the story is the subplot with the little girl who adores him. For me, it had no value.

I don't care for the Director's Cut at all. It spends the entire movie bashing you over the head with the ideas it wants you to understand. I "figured it out" for myself and always warn people away from seeing the Director's Cut for thier first viewing because it takes away any sense of confusion or wonder and answers very, very distinctly whether everything is/was real or not.
    PS3 60 gig (250 gig)
    Mitsubishi 65" DLP - 1080P,Onkyo 706

PSN - CYMBOL
    First LBP2 Level - Jumper - http://lbp.me/v/ygrw7d
    LBP1 Level - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fpXHctxPug ,"The Dream Catcher" w/video

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast