Of subtitles and dubbing - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-29-2008, 02:56 PM

Default Of subtitles and dubbing

Now that all the Americas are in the same region, every movie should have language options for the countries in the region.

So what the hell Disney?
Where are the Spanish and French subtitles or audio options on your last couple of discs?

And what about the Blu-ray version of Pushing Daisies?
No Spanish but Danish, Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish, which are not part of the region.

Gah!
I just wanted to vent. Sorry.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:29 PM

Even though all of the Americas are the same region code, specific titles may still have different distributors in different countries. Depending on who owns the rights in a Spanish-speaking country (for example), the U.S. studio may be contractually prohibited from including Spanish subtitles so as not to compete. That happens all the time, unfortunately.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:33 PM

Yeah but the thing is, Disney was doing a good job at it until Sleeping Beauty and Tinkerbell.
There aren't any Blu-rays made in the country yet and the DVD versions suck. One movie (I don't remember which at the moment) had an advertising for the water company.
Thank you for the answer!
Old 10-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osko View Post
Yeah but the thing is, Disney was doing a good job at it until Sleeping Beauty and Tinkerbell.
There aren't any Blu-rays made in the country yet and the DVD versions suck. One movie (I don't remember which at the moment) had an advertising for the water company.
Thank you for the answer!
Disney was doing a good job FOR A WHILE. do not forget, the original dvd releases (even of some of hte platinum series) had multiple releases for language. go on amazon, they have listings for (extremely rare and expensive now) Lion King and Toy Story in spanish.

but this is a good thread, really. when we have Sony pumping out 37 subtitle tracks, why do we have some that have, what, 2?
Old 10-29-2008, 04:03 PM

josh's explanation applies.

for example, some paramount titles include portuguese subtitles (in addition to the usual french and spanish), but some don't. this is probably because another distributor has rights to brazil and portugal.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:30 PM

I have to agree that at least subtitles for every major language of the Region a movie is released should be included.

What about studios that own the movies in Mexico too, for example? There is absolutely nothing that stops them from adding at least subtitles to the disc. Specially when they have no plans to release the movie in BD outside the states. It's not like they'll be losing money from people not buying the regionalized editions --they simply don't exist! There's a phrase for that in México: Ni pichan, ni cachan, ni dejan batear (which loosely translates to They don't pitch, they don't catch, and won't let anyone bat).

Instead, they're making less money than they could for a thing as simple as adding subtitles. I'm willing to bet a LOT of people who import BDs from outside North America don't speak english that well, but they will see the movie in the original language anyways, IF they can watch it with spanish subtitles.

And if Disney actually releases Sleeping Beauty here, in the same way they "officially" released Cars (box in spanish, but no dub nor subtitles options, just re-packaged the same disc of the USA release), man, that would totally be an insult...
Old 10-29-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Even though all of the Americas are the same region code, specific titles may still have different distributors in different countries. Depending on who owns the rights in a Spanish-speaking country (for example), the U.S. studio may be contractually prohibited from including Spanish subtitles so as not to compete. That happens all the time, unfortunately.
Josh I will have to vehemently disagree with you here in terms of Disney. Well, disagree for the most part. I believe pretty much ALL of their animated films, CGI or otherwise, they own the rights to Internationally so that explanation doesn't work. This might be a case of Disney actually being lazy, forgetting to insert the subs on it or a time thing. I really can't imagine it's THAT time consuming just to place the subtitles on the disc though.
Now as for some live action movies I'll agree with you. Specifically I might see Hitchhiker's and Bridge as part of what you say but past this no. I suspect Disney has International rights to Sky High.
Also to clarify things to everyone, with the exception of China, Disney is the exclusive distributor of all of Miyazaki's works. I suppose there may be the idea that Disney might allow another company to grab it if it's been sitting around for a while as Totoro I've seen with the FOX label on it.
edit: Now that I think about it, depending on movie, Disney might be doing it just because said movie is still in theaters in the region. So basically Disney could be doing it because they don't want to jeopardize ticket sales in that region. I'll be the first to say I think the staggered release thing is nonsense and films should be released worldwide at the same time.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:47 PM

The logic simply doesn't apply for a movie like Sleeping Beauty. It's not on theaters and the DVD version has Spanish and French options.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:28 PM

sometimes, studios just flat out have problems, like "kit kittredge" (warner) blu-ray have fewer subtitles and extras than the dvd.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:18 PM

But for example in the case of Pushing Daisies I don´t see why the dvd has spanish subtitles and the BD has a lot of languages subtitles except for spanish ??
Here in Mexico the BD that arrive here are imports only a few titles of Disney and all the releases of Sony have a spanish cover, and only Sony release things that have been release by sony around the world, with that I mean titles Sony hasn´t release in te USA like Peter Pan, Tudors: Season 1 and Almost Famous