Of Wanted Lists and Foreign Imports - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-29-2008, 02:56 PM

Default Of Wanted Lists and Foreign Imports

Our own Ken Brown has been keeping busy with a series of articles on the state of Blu-ray. He's just posted a couple of stories relating to issues all too familiar to home theater enthusiasts: Wanted Lists and Import Titles.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...n_Imports/2209
Old 10-29-2008, 03:09 PM

I think Ken made a great list of "wanted" blus. I myself want 'Back to the Future' and 'Jurassic Park' over all of them.

Some other titles that need to come, 'The Hustler', 'Pulp Fiction', several Alfred Hitchcock films, 'Fight Club' (which is being release on December 5th in Germany), 'Saving Private Ryan', 'Jaws' 'Scarface'. The list is endless.

As for imports, as long as I can get them on Blu-ray, I don't care if I have to import them from Mars (think of the shipping charges ) I will import it. I've imported a lot of movies. Some are great ('Shawshank') and not so great (wow can't think of any).

I even imported a region locked title 'Salo' (someone sell me a BH200), which I plan to keep, regardless because of the book it comes with and hopes of being able to watch it one day.

Even though I don't mind importing, I still think the US needs to get their act together and release some of the great catalogue titles you can get elsewhere.

Great job Ken.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:15 PM

Jaws and Jurassic Park are my absolute top wants. Probably have to wait till the new "Jurassic Park 4" comes along in 2010 for a box set of the first three.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:27 PM

Just read through the list and found it pretty funny how in addition to that list he also wrote an article bemoaning the lack of foreign and arthouse fare being released in the US. That "most wanted" list is more or less a simple recap of US box office hits.

Titanic? Really? No mention of Hitchcock, not a single foreign film, and Gone With the Wind thrown in as the token "classic Hollywood" film thanks to its large box office numbers. For what I though was a writer who wanted the format to be more than just spectacle, that list only served to reinforce Blu-ray as a format devoted to big productions and box office smashes.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Former Member

damn bamboo, that is a pretty interesting take on it. i like ken's writing, but i will say, the list was a bit money-heavy handed, what about Citizen Kane, #1 in the AFI? Hitchcock classics? and foreign classics like 8 1/2, or Grand Illusion, or Seven Samurai?

maybe since it was aimed at a magazine, they had to aim at their audience. most plebians don't understand art, or foreign fare.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:03 PM

I only want back to the future of that list.
Some others would be these.

Gladiator

Minority report

Saveing private ryan
Old 10-29-2008, 04:09 PM

Foreign distributors do have an edge in some regards especially when it comes to the number of independent distributors. For 'old school' wrestling fans such as myself: the UK WWF(E) distributor Silvervision was able to release every pay-per-view event on DVD where as here in North America, the process has been very very slow. The "Attitute Era" releases do not contain a blurred out "scratch logo" because they are an independent distributor and were not affected by the World Wildlife Fund's lawsuit.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:08 PM

yeah import wise i think its often a grass is greener scenario
im in the uk and my friends often bemoan how many titles U.S blu ray fanS have compared to us etc
i have a U.S PS3 so i import most of my films
Old 10-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
Just read through the list and found it pretty funny how in addition to that list he also wrote an article bemoaning the lack of foreign and arthouse fare being released in the US. That "most wanted" list is more or less a simple recap of US box office hits.

Titanic? Really? No mention of Hitchcock, not a single foreign film, and Gone With the Wind thrown in as the token "classic Hollywood" film thanks to its large box office numbers. For what I though was a writer who wanted the format to be more than just spectacle, that list only served to reinforce Blu-ray as a format devoted to big productions and box office smashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
damn bamboo, that is a pretty interesting take on it. i like ken's writing, but i will say, the list was a bit money-heavy handed, what about Citizen Kane, #1 in the AFI? Hitchcock classics? and foreign classics like 8 1/2, or Grand Illusion, or Seven Samurai?

maybe since it was aimed at a magazine, they had to aim at their audience. most plebians don't understand art, or foreign fare.
Both of you give a fair assessment. Just keep in mind the first article was meant to discuss ten releases that would attract attention to the format and convert DVD owners to Blu-ray owners (as is detailed in the subtitle and introduction). It was not a personal list of ten releases I'd necessarily like to see, but a researched market analysis piece dealing with sales potential and marketability. I had to pour through DVD trends, current market trends, interview studio reps, etc to come up with my list (not just toss together ten mass-market releases).

Attracting more people to any new format will always involve quite a few box office hits. As much as I'd love to see other flicks released on Blu-ray, they don't have the draw as the blockbusters and money makers I listed. I love Hitchcock flicks, Seven Samurai, and others you listed, but they would mainly appeal to folks who already have a BD player. I doubt they would lure people away from DVD by the droves.

Some of my favorite films are arthouse, indie, and foreign titles. That's why the first article was paired with my imports article, a more personal look at the smaller titles, foreign releases, and cult classics we don't have that other countries do. The articles aren't contradictions, but rather companion pieces.

Again, I agree with what both of you are saying, but I think you may have misunderstood the purpose or intention of the first article. Thanks as always for posting!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:49 PM

I should mention 'Titanic' is one I'm waiting on too. Mostly for the sound, the DVD was good with the surround.

This one like deserves 7.1