Blu-ray is dead - heckuva job, Sony! - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:17 PM

Default Blu-ray is dead - heckuva job, Sony!

http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=365&tag=nl.e539

Is he for real?..
Old 10-29-2008, 01:25 PM

All valid points, actually. Ironically, not 5 minutes before reading this - I read about Steve Jobs' "bag of hurt" comment.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:26 PM

Maybe this should have been posted in the Smackdown forum.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:29 PM

I read one line and quite (no joke)
Old 10-29-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoq View Post
All valid points, actually. Ironically, not 5 minutes before reading this - I read about Steve Jobs' "bag of hurt" comment.
Damn, I was reading the same ,after I posted the above.

Psystar introduces Blu-ray bag of hurt to its Mac clones

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...its-mac-clones
Old 10-29-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRedBullFan View Post
Damn, I was reading the same ,after I posted the above.

Psystar introduces Blu-ray bag of hurt to its Mac clones

This article is just a more elaborate explanation of Jobs' comment, IMHO.

At least we now have an reasonable explanation for the outrageous MSRPs a lot of Blu-ray releases carry. Until those licensing and replication fees come down - the format could very well remain exactly where it is and not expand much beyond it's current market share. Not really a shocker.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:44 PM

I agree with the article. It highlights some of the important issues.
The BDA wants Blu-Ray to be a premium option over DVD. But the number of people willing to pay a premium for a movie is much smaller than they think it is. More so in today's "economic climate". Like the guy says, it need to place itself as a replacement to DVD and compete with it on price if it wants to get any more of a market percentage.

Blu-Ray isn't going to die at this point, but it could struggle to hold on to it's shop shelf space if it doesn't pick up soon.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:53 PM

While I can agree with many things the poster is trying to get across, like the fact that Blu-Ray is a "nice-to-have", not a NEED...
I think that the idea that Blu-Ray is dead is a misleading title.
He says at the bottom of the article that it is not too late, and that Blu-Ray needs to capture more volume and market share. Agreed. But I think calling the format a dying format is extremely premature and downright false. Blu-Ray is already more popular in marketshare than any of the other failed formats mentioned.
I think we will see Blu-Ray eventually pick up steam this holiday season and next. I work for both Best Buy and Blockbuster, and the stuff DOES INDEED sell and rent. In fact if I had to estimate, I'd say about 15-20% of our New Release rentals being checked out are Blu-Ray right now. Blu-Ray is far from dead, it just hasn't gone completely mainstream yet, and I think the BDA has it's work cut out for it...but I think that Blu-Ray will eventually come to a resting place where it is about 50-50 with DVD.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:03 PM

I partially agree with the article but I think the blogger went with an extreme title to get hits for the site.

It's way to early to call Blu-ray dead or or to say it will be the next mainstream product.

So far it's comparable to DVD adoption and it's price points are comparable with DVD price points but that could slow, speed up, or stay the same. Give it a couple more years and we'll have a better idea of whether it will be niche or mainstream but to say it's dead after 2 years is pretty stupid IMHO.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:08 PM

i think that blu ray prices are dropping and if you can remember when dvd first came on the scene it was a very similar scenario
vhs prices dropped steeply and then dvds came down in price too
the same will happen with blu ray
i would say prices have already come down 20% on discs
from last year
Closed Thread