The Strangers - is it really based on a true story? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-24-2008, 07:53 PM

Default The Strangers - is it really based on a true story?

I just watched it, amazing movie. Did this really happen in real life? If so, I would like to read up more on it.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:58 PM

Just google it or wikipedia it.

No it didn't happen in real life. Like any crime movie they borrowed a few things from real life murders though. Wikipedia talks about that.

Although I'd never call this movie "amazing" It was pretty good but a few things characters did in it (particularly the brother that stops by the house later) where just so stupid it took me out of the movie.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:59 PM

I think the writer/director just based it off of the Manson family murders in the 70's if I'm not mistaken. So I don't think it really happened.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:07 PM

For the lazy:

"According to production notes,[2] the film was inspired by an event from director Bryan Bertino's childhood: a stranger came to his home asking for someone who was not there, and Bertino later found out that empty homes in the neighborhood had been broken into that night.[3] In interviews, Bertino stated he was "very impressed" with some of the theories circulating on the Internet about the "true events" the movie is allegedly based on, but said his main inspiration was Helter Skelter, a true crime book about the 1969 Manson family murders.[4][5]"
Old 10-24-2008, 08:17 PM

It's an un-official remake of "Them".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465203/

Now the stuff in Them really DID happen.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
It's an un-official remake of "Them".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465203/

Now the stuff in Them really DID happen.
Not that there is ANY evidence that this movie is based on "them" but as far as them being true events:

"While claiming to be based on events, the characters in Ils are all fictional. The "true story" in which the film was based upon involved an Austrian couple that was murdered by three teenagers in their vacation home in The Czech Republic[1][unreliable source?]. The number of killers, action setpieces, and follow-up information at the end of the film were fabricated by the filmmakers."
Old 10-24-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post
Not that there is ANY evidence that this movie is based on "them" but as far as them being true events:

"While claiming to be based on events, the characters in Ils are all fictional. The "true story" in which the film was based upon involved an Austrian couple that was murdered by three teenagers in their vacation home in The Czech Republic[1][unreliable source?]. The number of killers, action setpieces, and follow-up information at the end of the film were fabricated by the filmmakers."

Have you seen "Them"?

It's as plain as day.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:19 PM

Can someone tell me what the ending was all about? Who were these people? and what did the 2 boys going to the house at the end have anythi to do with it? And the girl comes back to life wtf?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBrownsugar View Post
Can someone tell me what the ending was all about? Who were these people? and what did the 2 boys going to the house at the end have anythi to do with it? And the girl comes back to life wtf?
Spoiler
She never came back to life, because she was not dead to begin with, actually, you hear her make the 911 call in the very beginning. The "strangers" were random sick fucks. The Mormon boys were just spreading the word of their God.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Which doesn't exactly make sense, since Mormon boys don't do their missions until they are at least 19.