'War, Inc.' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-21-2008, 01:02 PM

Default 'War, Inc.' - High-Def Digest Review

Ken has reviewed 'War, Inc.' (which at one point was slated to be a direct to video release). He wasn't impressed. This Blu-ray has some decent video (with a few flaws), better sound, and no extras. Rent this one first.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/434/warinc.html
Old 10-21-2008, 01:04 PM

I didn't really care for the movie myself. Glad I canceled when I did and rented the DVD
Old 10-21-2008, 01:15 PM

The review fails to mention that it is a spiritual sequel to Grosse Pointe Blank. I mean, it's not super important...but it sort of explains the tone.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
The review fails to mention that it is a spiritual sequel to Grosse Pointe Blank. I mean, it's not super important...but it sort of explains the tone.
I know that has been said and there are several points that support it (including comments from the cast members). But I personally thought 'War, Inc' was very different in its tone, humor style, and development of characters. I didn't want to risk misleading any 'Grosse Pointe Blank' fans into thinking 'War, Inc' would give them similar satisfaction. There are some cool hits (particularly the opening bar assassination) and some snappy banter between Cusack and his sister, but those were the only two elements that remotely reminded me of 'Grosse Pointe Blank' (which, by the way, I adore).

Anyway, hope that helps clarify why I didn't mention it! Thanks as always for posting.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
I know that has been said and there are several points that support it (including comments from the cast members). But I personally thought 'War, Inc' was very different in its tone, humor style, and development of characters. I didn't want to risk misleading any 'Grosse Pointe Blank' fans into thinking 'War, Inc' would give them similar satisfaction. There are some cool hits (particularly the opening bar assassination) and some snappy banter between Cusack and his sister, but those were the only two elements that remotely reminded me of 'Grosse Pointe Blank' (which, by the way, I adore).

Anyway, hope that helps clarify why I didn't mention it! Thanks as always for posting.
One of the few parts of the movie that I liked
Old 10-21-2008, 01:42 PM

Luckily I had this down as a rental before deciding if I should buy. And yes that was all down to its apparent 'spiritual succession' to grosse point blank.

I'll still give it the rental but the review certainly makes it sound like it could have been so much more
Old 10-21-2008, 01:53 PM

Yeah this movie was way to hamfisted, over the top and obvious to be taken as a serious satire. You would not use the word 'subtle' to describe this movie. And the twist is way too.. Umm 'trash novel'.

But I thought it was kinda funny actually, with the gags, the goats always running by cracked me up. And seeing john bust out his kickboxing is a treat for any Cusack fan.
I am a huge fan of Gross Pointe Blank and this isn't even half as good though.

And I thought I would never say this but hillary duff got hot in this, haha, who woulda thought.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:57 PM

Wow, another Liberal "mesage" piece falls completely on its face. What else is new.

I think the review could have been boiled down to "Liberal Rant - poorly executed", although at this point that last part is quicky becoming a redundant statement. Redacted anyone?

Last edited by D_Strasse; 10-21-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:46 PM

Superb Review Ken but I'll pass.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Former Member

i still want it. gotta find it cheaper, though. not paying 23 bucks for a 1 time view title.