"Being There" (1979) / February 3rd 2009 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-10-2008, 03:36 PM

Default "Being There" (1979) / February 3rd 2009

Old 10-14-2008, 11:13 AM

Tried watching this 3 or 4x, could never get into this fully..which is sad as Sellers is a genius!
Old 10-14-2008, 01:32 PM

Being There is one of my top ten favorite movies of all time.

I had it on laserdisc, rented it only on DVD since it was such a poor transfer, and now will definitely get it on BD if it is to be remastered.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:58 PM

This is an amazing movie in so many ways. I'm not surprised someone can't make it through the movie, as it not your usual film. I love these types of movies, but they are conversation pieces, seen a few times and then referenced endlessly, grokked into your consciousness.

The entertainment of this picture is not the slim series of events in it or the pitch-black comedic premise, or even the fantastical ending -- but how it works as a reflection of the entire US entertainment and political media machine. Being There is like an investigative report into the Cult of Personality. It taps the hallow idols of our political and media icons, it cracks them open and shines the light on the void within.

Being There works as a brilliant commentary of today's media-bombarded existence, where reality is created by what is reported. I keep expecting this film to be dated beyond recognition each time I revisit it. Alas, this has not happened. The media machine, predictably, continues to make this a greater and greater film.

-comix
Old 10-15-2008, 07:43 AM

This is one of my favorite Peter Sellers movies. For those interested in conspiracies, there is the all seeing eye on top of the pyramid that the fellows take him to at the end. Just who were those guys portraying, the illuminati? This movie just goes to illustrate that knowledge isn't everything... it is where the heart is. I love how he comments on the room...being an elevator. Fresh perspective on this movie every time I see it. It goes against the way most in the world see things. Wonderful refresher.

Anyway, I love to watch HD! This movie would be nice with a few extra features too. I will wait to get my most wanted blu-ray if it is above $30 in price. Otherwise, if it seems to be done right, I will get it for around $29.99 or under.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:27 PM

WTF! Dolby digital only. Warner is ridiculous. For a while it seemed like all catalog titles were getting TrueHD (interview with a vampire, poltergeist etc). ARGH!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:17 PM

The whole dolby digital issue with Warner has become a lost cause for me, I dont even care any more if they release another bluray.

I do have to say I have always loved Peter Sellers, I am only 30 yrs old, so most people my age may not know him very well. But my mom and dad loved Sellers and made sure we watched all the Pink Panther movies and one of my all time favorites "The Party" so I have always been a Sellers and Blake Edwards fan since I was a kid and since our first VCR in 1984.

We need "The Party" on bluray too, and the entire Pink Panther collection, not just the first one
Old 10-17-2008, 05:27 AM

I liked this movie. If I was a male prostitute I would call myself Peter Sellers. Forrest Gump should pay royalties to this movie, sort of similar. Both movies involve an innocent mentality getting fame.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:18 AM

awesome! love hal ashby. this and harold and maude are two of my favorit emovies.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:33 PM

FYI, for those that have seen Robert Downey's hilarious monologue in Tropic Thunder -- this movie doesn't match what he said. Just like Sean Penn, Peter Sellers was passed over for an Oscar statue for his role here.

-comix