'How The West Was Won' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-07-2008, 01:12 AM

Default 'How The West Was Won' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh's review of 'How the West Was Won' has been posted. He says it's more of a historical curiosity than a genuine piece of entertainment. Still, this Blu-ray restoration really serves the material and its merits well. Recommended for film buffs and Western fans. You know who you are.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/437/...estwaswon.html
Old 10-07-2008, 01:48 AM

Can't thank you enough for putting up with Warner and reviewing this. I would have liked for you to have talked more on how Cinerama defined what we see today in movies. But, that's ok. I agree with how you scored the movie completely. Thanks again, as a big time western and movie buff in general, I loved the history of this movie and what is means to me as a modern movie fan. I hope to one day be able to see the last remaining Cinerama theater in North America in Seattle, WA.

Great review, really awesome work. Thanks again!
Old 10-07-2008, 03:46 AM

You know some one has a curved white wall and is going to aim their projector at it. That would be a very cool experiment.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:51 AM

nice to see this finally get reviewed.
I understand the problems with Warner getting out screener copies was the problem, and it is most unfortunate that more people won't likely get excited about this absolutely amazing Blu-ray now that so much time has passed and the biggies--i.e. "Iron man", etc are all coming out now.
Hopefully people will find the time to get this after blowing all their money on all the other great releases coming out this fall.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymac View Post
You know some one has a curved white wall and is going to aim their projector at it. That would be a very cool experiment.
A number of home theater companies market curved front projector screens.

Smilebox is a simulated curve meant for viewing on a flat screen. I don't think it would work properly on a real curved screen. I'd expect to see too much distortion. The Letterbox transfer is probably a better option for projecting onto a real curved screen.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:32 AM

I don't agree with the PQ rating at all.

The movie is from 1962 and the PQ is absolutely breath-taking.

There is more detail in most scenes throughout this movie than there are for movies filmed and released in 2008!
Old 10-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Banned

Default watch it both ways

I'm going to check it out using my panny plasma and also on my infocus projector.....should be fun..I'm a big fan of this movie having first seen it as a kid on the big cinereama screen in manhattan
Old 10-07-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
A number of home theater companies market curved front projector screens.

Smilebox is a simulated curve meant for viewing on a flat screen. I don't think it would work properly on a real curved screen. I'd expect to see too much distortion. The Letterbox transfer is probably a better option for projecting onto a real curved screen.
Interesting.. those curved screens are only gentle though aren't they? So they perfectly account for the curve of the projectors lens? But there must be a shape of screen you could jig together which does fit the distortion of the "smileboxing".... Of course there would be major focus issues if you were using a single projector. But the 3D effect if you got it right would be pretty cool.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
Josh's review of 'How the West Was Won' has been posted. He says it's more of a historical curiosity than a genuine piece of entertainment. Still, this Blu-ray restoration really serves the material and its merits well. Recommended for film buffs and Western fans. You know who you are.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/437/...estwaswon.html
I would never, NEVER!, call HTWWW "more of a historical curiousity than a genuine piece of entertainment." That is really going to turn off a lot of people from even seeing this marvellous film and the Blu-ray edition. It is great entertainment. Calling it a "historical curiousity" would be like saying that "Ben-Hur might have been interesting in its time but its race pales greatly in excitement compared to that of something like "Gone in 60 Seconds" (have never seen GI60S, but assume it has a race).

Also, I believe the PQ to be a 5.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:13 PM

I kinda regret buying this one, the picture was great and all, but the movie didn't really start cooking until Eli Wallach showed up about 2 hours in! The romances didn't really work either.