News on 3D Blu-ray, come in! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-28-2008, 07:02 PM

Default News on 3D Blu-ray, come in!

Hi everyone!
I wanted to share with you some news I knew about.
I think some of you read about 3D going blu-ray by the end of the year. That Hanna Montana 3D blu-ray was nothing more than the old red-blue anaglyph method... blu-rays using TDVcodec, instead, will be full colour 3D, and they will be compatible with different kinds of 3D TVs and monitors.
Another important thing to talk about is the fact that these real 3D movies are going to be released in 3 different versions, in the same disc (!!!) whether it is dvd or blu-ray, with no quality loss.
There will be the normal full hd 2D version, the anaglyph 3D version so that anyone can partially enjoy 3D, and finally the full-colour 3D, compatible with both shutterglasses and polarized glasses. I think this is great!
It also seems we can enjoy 3D by a simple firmware update for ps3! Check this interesting interview about ps3 firmware update: http://www.play3-live.com/news-ps3-f...n-8435-p2.html

Here is TDVision's CTO speaking:
"TDVision is pushing to break the vicious cycle that stops the content creators to adopt a 3D encoding format due to the lack of hardware support by:
- Being an active part of the standardization process
- Entering discussions and negotiations with different studios like MagicPlay
- Enabling practically every existing PC for 3D playback with a simple, free download
- Support of all the existing 3D displays out there in the market

The feasibility of updating the PS3 and Blu-ray 2.0 players has been analyzed and validated internally, so technically speaking we can do it immediately if we get clearance to modify the low level firmware. The only thing that is a challenge here are the business agreements, not the technical skills. To "conform" the format for a specific 3D ready display is simply a very basic pixel addressing that can be done with a simple pointer when writing the frame buffer right after the image has been decoded, there's nothing to it. It may seem complicated for somebody that is not expert low level coding but it's extremely simple thing to do when having the right low level programming access.

There are two kinds of standards:
- Written Standard
- Standard de-facto

Most of the standards de-facto, started by being adopted by companies, users and people before there was a written standard. Content is ready, displays are ready and we do not see any reason why this shouldn't happen today. Buy a Blu-ray and download the free software, get any 3D Ready Mitsubishi or Samsung display at Wal-Mart (In case you don't know people are buying it and more than 2 million people have purchased one) and you're ready, why would that be aggravating? In order to see in 3D is clear that you need a 3D-Ready TV. Several manufacturers are working on that like Mitsubishi, Samsung, ViewSonic, and even Sony, and content encoded with our TDVCodec can drive ANY 3D display. It's clear that if you do not buy a 3D TV you won't be able to see in 3D, oh, wait, our Format not only plays back the full HD version in 2D but it can also playback the same Blu-ray disk in 3D anaglyph when using a 2D monitor!... We see the interest not only of one company but many to use our TDVCodec and just so you know, MagicPlay is not the only one, but we can not disclose any names by now.

TDVision has the PC playback ready now. The update for some existing Blu-ray players is 100% feasible, is in our roadmap and it's going to happen within the near future.
The frames per second and the refresh rates are two different things, the content is encoded at 24fps for each eye and the display is refreshing at 120Hz or 60Hz per eye, there's no flickering, have you ever tried one?, we would like to invite you to our demo room to see it working, we have it running on an off-the-shelf Laptop connected to an off-the-shelf Samsung TV we got at Fry's with off-the-shelf online acquired shutter glasses with our free download on it. Works, doesn't flicker, great 3D.

The number of Blu-ray units is increasing every day, the PCs shipped with Blu-ray players is almost mandatory now so this is only going to allow more users to be capable to watch 3D content with a simple free download.

When more and more content is encoded with our system, and as we have been able to prove so far, the benefit for the user of having the freedom of choice to drive any 3D display without adding or having to pay for any additional hardware is clear and has been demonstrated in several shows by now where thousands have been able to see it working.

Our mission is to provide the users with the best 3D experience while providing full compatibility with existing 2D infrastructures. We are ready now.

Regards,

TDVision's CTO "

Also, it seems every major company has a 3D-ready tv coming out...check this out...

SONY's 3D ready tv. It's probably a prototype.

PANASONIC' s 3D-ready tv...we will probably see a Pioneer-Panasonic 3D tv then...

PHILIPS autostereoscopic 3D TVs are coming out by the end of the year.

Plus, there are about 2 millions 3D-ready tvs around (DLPs and Samsung Plasmas), from Samsung and Mitsubishi!
There are also iz3D, viewsonic (partner of NVidia) and Zalman monitors for gaming. 3D Projectors are coming out. High end and high Definition Head Mounted Displays (pretty close to the concept of virtual reality...) are around the corner finally at a consumer price...
Let's get ready to rumble

Last edited by koshien; 09-28-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:19 PM

I'm glad to know that I don't have to go out and buy a brand new tv (just bought one less then a year ago) to get this technology.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeeswish View Post
I'm glad to know that I don't have to go out and buy a brand new tv (just bought one less then a year ago) to get this technology.
+1, looking forward to it as long as we don't have to buy new displays for it.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:28 PM

I'll be ready to upgrade my display in 2-3 years, so I'm sure they'll be getting it figured out by then.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:38 AM

It's great everyone can enjoy 3D, but with "simple" hd TVs, it would still be the old anaglyph method, with red and blue glasses. If you want to get the best 3D technology, you' ll have to buy a 3D tv sometime...
But do not despair
I already knew about 3D TVs coming out (in Europe there is just one model of 3D tv, in USA there are a lot more...) but since here in Italy there was not a 37" or 42" 3D tv, I bought the 37PX80 Panasonic Plasma just 2 months ago.
My plan is to get a 3D head mounted display (for gaming) in 2 years... or a 3D projector...that would be awesome, but as a student, I don't have much money.
Let's wait and see. I will definitely support this technology as soon as I can
Old 09-29-2008, 10:04 AM

Supposedly my Samsung DLP has 3D built in. I wish I could use it for movies.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkr2 View Post
Supposedly my Samsung DLP has 3D built in. I wish I could use it for movies.
You are a lucky guy
Actually, it seems about 2 millions 3D-ready TVs have already been sold...it's definitely a start...! I think you are going to use it for movies pretty soon!
Later on, I bet "Avatar" movie by James Cameron, once it will be released in 3D blu-ray, is going to make a good use of your 3D DLP
Old 09-29-2008, 10:21 AM

So does this mean we will have to re-buy movies once again? Or will the movies you already own on Blu work via the software update???
Old 09-29-2008, 11:23 AM

I assume it would only work for movies shot in digital 3D like Journey to the Center of the Earth, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkr2 View Post
I assume it would only work for movies shot in digital 3D like Journey to the Center of the Earth, but I could be wrong.
No, this is right
Actually, it is cool 3D takes advantage of blu-ray technology and can be enjoyed by simply upgrading the firmware.
The best results for 3D will be, of course, with 3D movies such as Beowulf and Journey to the Center of the Earth...even though the 3D blu-ray edition that is coming out seems to have only the old anaglyph method...and I wouldn't buy it, because in the next years it will probably have a real 3D edition on blu-ray.
There is software that "converts", in real time, normal movies to 3D movies, but the results are usually not that good. It might be included in the firmware update though...and if it's good and free, why not
If you want great results, the movie has to go through a long and expensive process, which is just what it happened with Top Gun and Star Wars. These movies have been converted into 3D by a company called "In-three"... http://www.in-three.com/
I guess we will see 3D Star Wars in 1 or 2 years in the movie theatres...