DreamWorks Principals Leave Paramount - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-20-2008, 08:26 AM

Default DreamWorks Principals Leave Paramount

According to news reports at various websites (Variety, NYTimes, etc.), Steven Spielberg, David Geffen, and Stacey Snider are leaving in order to work with Reliance (an Indian company) on a new venture. While Paramount is letting the personnel go, it wants to hang on to all of the DreamWorks projects that are currently in development.

I wonder which company will end up distributing the new company's titles? It could be Universal since Spielberg's offices have always been there (even when DreamWorks was an independent company and even when Paramount bought DreamWorks). It could also be Warner, which has an off-and-on relationship with Spielberg. Oddly, it could still be Paramount since DreamWorks Animation (run by Spielberg's friend Jeffrey Katzenberg) still has a distribution deal with Paramount and since so many of Spielberg's pet projects might end up getting stuck at Paramount anyway.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Banned

EDIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by posters5 View Post
According to news reports at various websites (Variety, NYTimes, etc.), Steven Spielberg, David Geffen, and Stacey Snider are leaving in order to work with Reliance (an Indian company) on a new venture. While Paramount is letting the personnel go, it wants to hang on to all of the DreamWorks projects that are currently in development.

I wonder which company will end up distributing the new company's titles? It could be Universal since Spielberg's offices have always been there (even when DreamWorks was an independent company and even when Paramount started leasing DreamWorks). It could also be Warner, which has an off-and-on relationship with Spielberg. Oddly, it could still be Paramount since DreamWorks Animation (run by Spielberg's friend Jeffrey Katzenberg) still has a distribution deal with Paramount and since so many of Spielberg's pet projects might end up getting stuck at Paramount anyway.
Dreamworks signs distribution agreement that last for a certain amount of time with certain stipulations like our name goes on the company letterhead hence Paramount/Dreamworks a concession Universal was not willing to give.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by view-it-purple View Post
EDIT
Dreamworks signs distribution agreement that last for a certain amount of time with certain stipulations like our name goes on the company letterhead hence Paramount/Dreamworks a concession Universal was not willing to give.
i'm not sure why you made the edit as paramount bought dreamworks outright. what's funny is that as soon as paramount bought dreamworks, it sold the dreamworks library to george soros. it goes to show that brad grey was desperate for dreamworks's future titles and didn't think that the library would generate significant profits.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posters5 View Post
in order to work with Reliance (an Indian company) on a new venture.
An Indian company, or an Indie studio?
Old 09-20-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by view-it-purple View Post
EDIT

I really don't understand what your run on sentence is saying.

It was my understanding from rumors a while back, that the Dreamworks studio heads could leave, and take the Dreamworks name....After that though, they would loose the rights to all of their previous library titles.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:13 PM

Well first Spielberg leaves Paramount and now this. I wonder what the future holds for Paramount.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guypictures View Post
An Indian company, or an Indie studio?
An Indian company, as in a company based in Mumbai, India in Asia.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:52 PM
O_o

A top Viacom exec called Spielberg "immaterial" and that the studio would survive and remain viable after his potential exit. He is a diva, as much as he is a legend. Viacom has been expecting him to excercise his out clause with Paramount since Spring 2007. DreamWorks Animation is locked up until 2013, with an option to leave in 2011 if DW undergoes a change of control. Spielberg will still have to deal with Paramount, due to his creative investments in several outstanding projects over the next few years that are locked up with Viacom.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averry View Post
I really don't understand what your run on sentence is saying.

It was my understanding from rumors a while back, that the Dreamworks studio heads could leave, and take the Dreamworks name....After that though, they would loose the rights to all of their previous library titles.
Here is note to self. If you don't understand my posts don't respond to them, or put me on your ignore list please.