'Speed Racer' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-19-2008, 01:17 PM

Default 'Speed Racer' - High-Def Digest Review

Ken's review of 'Speed Racer' has been posted. He says the film isn't perfect, but he enjoyed it. This Blu-ray has five star video, but disappointing audio, and some weak supplements. This one will have folks debating, but it's worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1658...racer2008.html
Old 09-19-2008, 01:30 PM

Good review. Im glad you gave it higher than a 3
Great PQ score.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:37 PM

I'm surprised how a movie can come with 3 discs yet still only get 1 star for supplements. I know why of course but the mind boggles, my mind also boggles at the lack of decent audio tracks when its possibly the most important feature for this kind of movie. Luckily for me I'm too poor to afford anything beyond the Logitech Z5500's

edit: Removed gap

Last edited by backslashio; 09-19-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashio View Post
I'm surprised how a movie can come with 3 discs yet still only get 1 star for supplements.

I know why of course but the mind boggles, my mind also boggles at the lack of decent audio tracks when its possibly the most important feature for this kind of movie. Luckily for me I'm too poor to afford anything beyond the Logitech Z5500's
The number of discs doesn't dictate the score for supplements.
A DVD game and a "digital copy" is hardly exciting at all.
Until now, nobody has ever bothered posting anything about the game in this forum. No, I don't blame the folks here who bought the title. But it just plain shows where a huge part of the BD communities' interest lie. The movie! Not an extra game!

And dude, your Logitech Z5500 kicks ass. Enjoy it!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:55 PM

having only Dolby Digital is something i can't look past. stupid Warner will not get my money until they reissue this disc with lossless audio.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master X View Post
Good review. Im glad you gave it higher than a 3
Be glad I didn't review it. Ken is much more generous to the film than I would be.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:58 PM

Ken, it's funny you say that you gave up playing the racing game after 5 minutes. The whole thing can be finished in less than 10. That game is really the worst bonus feature ever.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozQ View Post
The number of discs doesn't dictate the score for supplements.
Like I said in my original post, "I know why of course" (perhaps I should've removed the gap) Its just that if anything came with 3 discs you'd automatically assume 10 out of 5 stars without looking into what the extras are
Old 09-19-2008, 02:15 PM

I do not understand why there is so much hate towards this movie. Sure, it isn't the greatest thing ever made, but it was still really enjoyable and I was going to buy it, but I cannot bring myself to pay $30 for a movie that does not have high def audio.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:17 PM

Good review of the picture. I bought this disc the first day, and it's indeed outstanding. I'm sorry, though, that the reviewer Mr. Brown had problems taking the film itself seriously. I agree that there is a lot of anime-inspired zaniness in the film, but there was also, for me, a lot of dead serious drama, as well. Speed Racer's determination, the lessons he learned, the drama of Rex Racer and Racer X, the quiet family moments. It's all there. I'm afraid maybe some folks might have been overwhelmed by the monkey business that went on as well. It's also important to not that the Wachowskis didn't follow a traditional three act structure in this film, but more of an episodic structure involving each race, with the Casa Christo race divided into two episodes, much like the original TV series. This isn't to say that there wasn't a character arc, for indeed, Speed's character, as well as most of the other characters, does complete an arc from beginning to end. I'm saying this isn't a shallow forgettable film to be lumped in with "Death Race", I feel the Wachowski Bros. did something special here, and you might have to watch it more than once to see that. But hey, that's why we buy our own copies of the movie, right? Oh, and a big screen, if you have one, is definitely recommended.