'Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-18-2008, 12:58 PM

Default 'Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles' - High-Def Digest Review

Ken has reviewed 'Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles.' He says the animation has it's problems at times, but the story is good, and this Blu-ray is FUNimations most solid release, with strong video and audio track and good supplements. Still, this should be a rental first.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1457...hronicles.html
Old 09-18-2008, 01:03 PM

Attebery, is the link not up yet? Tried to get to the review and it was a general BD info page.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:52 PM

Wow!!!! I'm impressed with the Video and Audio quality, kudos to FUNimation. I will definitely give this a rent. Very nice review Ken.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Ken: "At 85 episodes, the 1985 ‘Robotech’ television series has been acknowledged by many American anime fans as their first foray into the genre and its subculture."
I would say that Gatchaman (1972), Mazinger Z (1972) and Mach GoGoGo (1967) probably both have it beat in that regard. Maybe if you're a kid from the 80's that might be true.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:00 PM

I only want this because of the drought of anime released domestically at a fair price with good encoding. Plus, I think Best Buy has it for around $20, meaning I can get it cheaper online...
Old 09-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelll View Post
Wow!!!! I'm impressed with the Video and Audio quality, kudos to FUNimation. I will definitely give this a rent. Very nice review Ken.
Thanks. Now if we could just get a BD release of the original 'Robotech' series, I'd be a happy boy!
Old 09-18-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
Thanks. Now if we could just get a BD release of the original 'Robotech' series, I'd be a happy boy!
Screw that. How about we get a remastered and uncut SDFM or DYRL movie on BD.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:05 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
I would say that Gatchaman (1972), Mazinger Z (1972) and Mach GoGoGo (1967) probably both have it beat in that regard. Maybe if you're a kid from the 80's that might be true.
Well to be fair, while I was first exposed to "Battle of the Planets" (ie Gatchaman) as my first weekly dose of anime. It was only when Robotech came along that I was old enough to finally get hooked on anime in a fatal and permanent way.

Of course, when I finally saw Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta, that was the point of no return for me.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Well to be fair, while I was first exposed to "Battle of the Planets" (ie Gatchaman) as my first weekly dose of anime. It was only when Robotech came along that I was old enough to finally get hooked on anime in a fatal and permanent way.

Of course, when I finally saw Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta, that was the point of no return for me.
Well for us old folkes, those shows are what got my generation into anime. Hell, at age 6 I had the Mazinger and Godzilla 3ft tall action figures, the Mach 5 Hot Wheel, so was well hooked by the time I had started first grade. Robotech didn't come till much later for me, though I loved that show too. I was lucky that KTLA in Los Angeles was such a good station for TV shows like that.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:17 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
Well for us old folkes, those shows are what got my generation into anime. Hell, at age 6 I had the Mazinger and Godzilla 3ft tall action figures, the Mach 5 Hot Wheel, so was well hooked by the time I had started first grade. Robotech didn't come till much later for me, though I loved that show too. I was lucky that KTLA in Los Angeles was such a good station for TV shows like that.
Yeah, I remember those toys, except that they were dubbed "Shogon Warriors" or something for us non-Japanese kids. I actually had the Godzilla and Gaiking jumbos myself.

Robotech was a bit hard for me. My local TV station was absolute crap for keeping the series continuity, and they literally grabbed a handful of episodes from each chapter. So my first exposure to Robotech was watching a few episodes of Macross that suddenly changed into the closing episodes of Southern Cross, that suddenly changed into the mid-point of Mospeada. It was only when the series finally came out on DVD that I got a chance to watch all of them properly.

Dude, you're really making me dig deep into the geek closet here...