Anybody Get "Risky Business" Yet? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-16-2008, 10:00 AM

Default Anybody Get "Risky Business" Yet?

I don't want to waste my $$ if this somehow doesn't look really good, and I haven't seen anything on this title yet.
help a high-def brother out.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:37 PM

There is a review up at DVD Beaver:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...ss_blu-ray.htm

The reviewer says it's a very faithful transfer and is only held back by the source material, itself.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:57 PM

ahhhh nice.
thanks!
Old 09-16-2008, 03:27 PM

Yeah, you're better off to check reviews elsewhere as this site mainly reviews new release titles and not so much catalog titles. If you looking for true classics reviews like How the West Was Won you won't find it here. So forget Risky Business.

Utter nonsense films like Kill Bill 1 & 2 you'll find here of course. Go figure.

Last edited by Revolutionary; 09-18-2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionary View Post
Yeah, you're better off to check reviews elsewhere as this site mainly reviews new release titles and not so much catalog titles. If you looking for true classics reviews like How the West Was Won you won't find it here. So forget Risky Business. Utter nonsense films like Kill Bill 1 & 2 you'll find here of course. Go figure.
Now that's not entirely true. I think you will find that they gave a favorable review for the poor and inconsistent transfer of the dirty dozen and they gave a poor review of the decent transfer of Butch Cassedy and the Sundance Kid. The only problem with the transfer I saw was that the scenes where they clearly used a matte showed up soft. Oh well.

I'll go pick it up later today and let you know Arkadin.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverchinese View Post
Now that's not entirely true. I think you will find that they gave a favorable review for the poor and inconsistent transfer of the dirty dozen and they gave a poor review of the decent transfer of Butch Cassedy and the Sundance Kid. The only problem with the transfer I saw was that the scenes where they clearly used a matte showed up soft. Oh well.

I'll go pick it up later today and let you know Arkadin.
When did this site review Dirty Dozen and Butch Cassidy? Quite a long time ago if I recall correctly. I've noticed a recent change here with regard to classic catalog titles ... they get ignored by the reviewers/staff as far as reviews go. Oh ... they will announce when they street, but that's about it. Perhaps they reason that the majority of people aren't interested in classic catalog titles so why bother? And I suppose that does make some sense. What is popular and new gets everyone's attention.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:26 PM

I picked it up today, but I haven't popped it in yet.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:57 AM

Watched it last night. I also popped in the older than dirt DVD for comparison and it wasn't even close. The BD looks great, it looks better than the 35MM print I saw of it 5 years ago. The soundtrack was serviceable, I wasn't expecting much from low-budget film from 1983. There's a 30 minute documentary that is pretty informative and has almost all the major cast and crew joining in. For the $19, it was a good purchase.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:21 PM

Sorry, I didn't get to pick it yesterday. I went to the store today and I had half a thought. What if you are right? What if the transfer is less than satisfactory? What if it is another 28 days later or kiss of the dragon? Well, I simply said, 'what the fuck.' Sometimes you just have to say, 'what the fuck.'

I will say, I don't think you will be disappointed. I know I am not watching it on a Kuro or anything, but on my brothers 650 it looks just fine, lol.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:02 PM

I bought it at Frys over lunch today. I'll pop it in tonight. Here's hoping that unlike my last purchase The Hunt for Red, this disk will load on my BDP-S300.

I'm already impressed that the portable copy is a) compatible with iTunes and b) on a disk in the package. The Paramout portable copies are not compatible with iTunes, and are packaged as a certificate for a download instead of a physical copy. All this for $22.95 at Frys. By comparison, Fox should be ashamed of their pricing.