Titles you wont rebuy on BR - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-15-2008, 03:59 PM

Default Titles you wont rebuy on BR

After all the threads ive read about people wanting specific movies on BR I was curious as to what movies people wont rebuy on BR. Ive double dipped on most of the movies that I wanted to see in HD but there are a few that Idont think ill rebuy. Ijust got done watching Jacking Brown, and Pulp Fiction and in all honesty I was pretty impressed with how they looked converted to 1080p. While admitedly they did show there age I actully love the way they look now and just dont think I would bring myself to repurchase them.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbydriver View Post
After all the threads ive read about people wanting specific movies on BR I was curious as to what movies people wont rebuy on BR. Ive double dipped on most of the movies that I wanted to see in HD but there are a few that Idont think ill rebuy. Ijust got done watching Jacking Brown, and Pulp Fiction and in all honesty I was pretty impressed with how they looked converted to 1080p. While admitedly they did show there age I actully love the way they look now and just dont think I would bring myself to repurchase them.

Banish him!!!!!

I'm actually waiting for the whole QT library to be remastered for BD. If Kill Bill is any indication, they will look even sweeter. I'm one of the few that thinks the Reservoir Dogs BD looks awesome!
Old 09-15-2008, 04:27 PM

I'd probably say most catalog titles before the 90's that have little to no special effects.

Granted there are a few exceptions to this rule for me, like genuine classics, and such, but for the most part the DVD is just fine on those older titles. Mainly, if it's a movie that I honestly would care about the appeareance then I would rebuy it, otherwise I won't.

Last edited by Godstar; 09-15-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:43 PM

There's a hell of a lot I'm not rebuying on Blu. I amassed quite a collection of DVDs from '99 to a year and a half ago when I got into Blu-Ray, and I would go into severe debt if I ever attempted to replace them all (actually, my collection is probably pretty skimpy compared to a lot of hardcore collectors here).
Only a few specific titles I'm replacing- everything else is day and date only.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:50 PM

I'll be rebuying any movie that I've enjoyed, as long as it gets a decent review for PQ and AQ.

I don't get why many think that only movies with explosions and tons of special effects see a noticeable improvement in high def.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeve View Post
I'll be rebuying any movie that I've enjoyed, as long as it gets a decent review for PQ and AQ.

I don't get why many think that only movies with explosions and tons of special effects see a noticeable improvement in high def.
They are the only ones I would care to spend $20+ to see in a better format. Films which are primarily about story and characters I don't mind as much seeing in SD quality (for instance Better of Dead or Say Anything), the movies are good no matter how good they look and the added detail brings nothing more to the table than the SD version. However, something like Star Wars would for me at least, so I would rebuy it. It really depends on the movie. I have my own criteria, and I'm sure others have theirs.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Banish him!!!!!

I'm actually waiting for the whole QT library to be remastered for BD. If Kill Bill is any indication, they will look even sweeter. I'm one of the few that thinks the Reservoir Dogs BD looks awesome!
I actually just watched this yesterday on BR. I was ableto gtet for like 10bucks. I already had the 15th anniversary edition, and just bought the Special Edition gas can version for 7 bucks so I can put my BR copy in it, lol. I think its mainly because Im trying to cut down on spending and asI said I was pretty impressed with the movies upconverted. Down the line if I can get them cheap like RD than ill do it.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:22 PM

Any movie that I already own on HD DVD I won't be rebuying in BR, except possibly Clerks II.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbydriver View Post
I honestly couldnt do that. I must have the best, most accurate version of a movie available.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:00 PM

Some of the documentaries I own would be silly to buy on Blu-ray since the PQ wasn't the main focus of post-production.

I love King of Kong, but I don't expect a major upgrade in PQ on Blu-ray.