'Great Expectations (1946) (UK Import)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-15-2008, 01:42 AM

Default 'Great Expectations (1946) (UK Import)' - High-Def Digest Review

Kenneth has reviewed the UK import of 'Great Expectations.' He says this
is what classic cinema and Blu-ray imports are all about. This is a classic in every sense of the word. This Blu-ray has the best version of the film available, with a great video transfer and faithful sound. Worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1757...s_1946_uk.html
Old 09-15-2008, 01:51 AM

I have yet to watch my Criterion Disc. I received it for Christmas back in 06. I watched his Oliver Twist...fantastic!!! So, maybe I need to get around to watching it.

I think the problem is that I know the story so well. South Park sort of ruins an adaptation of it...their's is pretty spot on.

I still think I'm going to wait to see if Criterion releases it here. Though, its nice to know the transfer is worth it.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:57 AM

I remmember watching this movie as a kid all the time and enjoying. It is kinda funny how i get cynical of older cinema as I get older but used to love it as a kid...

Have to revisit, probably wait for domestic though.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:57 AM

sorry about the double post, I swear i'm trading my phone

Last edited by Emoney7; 09-17-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:45 AM

After reading the review, I'm trying to understand out why Kenneth would want this movie remixed into 5.1 lossless track?

Why ask for the studios to release the original mono audio when in the same breath we as film enthusiasts ask, no demand, they to remix these mono films for the multichannel home video era?
Old 09-15-2008, 09:50 AM

Nice review, Ken. How long is this movie? The top banner says '1946 minutes'? (I'm guessing/hoping that's a misprint, otherwise you must have been watching this movie almost all weekend lol).
Old 09-15-2008, 10:26 AM

I wish they'd offer the Ethan Hawke version of Great Expectations.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the review Ken. This is one of my Dad's favorite movies and I'm thinking about getting this for him on Blu-ray.

Amazon-UK has it for £13.98 which translates into $25.00? Anyone know what would be my overall cost including the VAT?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2008, 03:08 PM

The following has me at a loss

Quote:
Unfortunately, there's not a lot to praise about the discís Dolby Digital mono track other than its faithful representation of the original audio source. Low-end sounds are flat, dynamics are dull, and treble tones donít have the strength to stand out in the limited mix. Dialogue is crisp and well prioritized, but there's really no reason it shouldnít be. Still, Iíd rather hear an authentic mono presentation than sit through a piss poor 5.1 remix. I do hope the eventual domestic Blu-ray release offers a rich and rewarding lossless track, as well as a carefully massaged surround mix, but Iím fairly pleased with this importís audio as is. Regardless of my score, the discís audio shouldnít dissuade anyone from ordering this release.
If the DD mono already does a great job accuratly repersenting the source how is it we expect a lossless track to offer any real improvement?
Old 09-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
If the DD mono already does a great job accuratly repersenting the source how is it we expect a lossless track to offer any real improvement?
I think there's a bit of confusion about this paragraph, so let me clarify. I hope the eventual domestic release provides plenty of options, not just one in particular. It would be great to get a lossless mono mix and a lossless surround remix. Purists would be able to enjoy the original audio without any compression whatsoever (even if that ultimately doesn't result in much of a difference) and newcomers wouldn't be scared away by the word "mono."

Hope that helps. Thanks as always for posting!