Black Christmas - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-14-2008, 11:36 AM

Default Black Christmas

Hey all,

New to the forum, but thought you might like to see what we have done with Black Christmas for this years upcoming Blu Ray release.

The image is a full 1080P transfer and we have done some colour correction to get rid of the previous editions Blu Hue from damaged negs. The detail is much much clearer now but be prepared for some film grain. Visible for the first time in Black Christmas. (i actually like grain) There is no DNR at all. This is basically what the print looks like.

On the left is a grab from the standard dvd and on the right is a 100% crop from a section of the image. Its a little grainy at 100% like this but moving on the big screen looks amazing !!!

I watched the whole movie through a few nights ago and it was my best viewing experience to date - and that also beats several theatrical screenings of bad prints over the years including Tarantinos own 35mm print....

As a comparison - its similar to the quality of the recent Anchor Bay Halloween during the dark scenes.

Anyway - hope you like the difference. For a Black Christmas fan the difference is vast !!! granted its no Iron Man transfer lol, but sadly just like me this movie is 35 years old .. and we are both feeling our age..lol

regards
Dan
itsmebilly.com
The Black Christmas Website
Attached Thumbnails
Black Christmas-ntsc_dvd.jpg   Black Christmas-bc_hdcam_pull-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Danyuld; 09-14-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:51 AM

And here's a peek at the main menu.....
regards
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Black Christmas-black-christ-blu-ray-1-menu-layout_ver1-2.jpg  
Old 09-14-2008, 12:25 PM

Nice, hope it will be regionfree.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:43 PM

The QC Report I have in front of me right now based on the latest build says

Region A1, Region B2, Region C3 (all checked) - Should Be Region Free.

I think this one is going out through Anchor Bay down in the States.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyuld View Post
The QC Report I have in front of me right now based on the latest build says

Region A1, Region B2, Region C3 (all checked) - Should Be Region Free.

I think this one is going out through Anchor Bay down in the States.
Good stuff, I will probably import this one then.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:16 PM

Excellent! I picked up the DVD back in 2006, I had the previous one as well! And, back then in December '06 when I bought my HD DVD player.......I remember wishing that 'black christmas' was available in high-def. Glad, now that it is, on . I didn't think I'd own a blu-ray player back then either! lol.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:47 PM

This is the 1974 Original Movie, not that illegal remake
Old 09-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
There is no DNR at all.
Thats great news. Hopefully its the same for edge enhancement.

Quote:
The detail is much much clearer now but be prepared for some film grain. Visible for the first time in Black Christmas. (i actually like grain)
As long as the Blu-ray transfer is true to the source then thats all that matters.

Oh and I love that menu.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:08 PM

First horror movie I ever saw. I was about 10. Scared the living crap out of me.

To this day I can't pass an attic without loooking up. I usually walk by quite fast...
Old 09-14-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX View Post
Hopefully its the same for edge enhancement.
As long as the Blu-ray transfer is true to the source then thats all that matters.
I have seen the source print used, and this encode looks almost identical. There has not been any edge enhancement. Just some dirt and scratches cleaned by hand.

It has a very cinematic feel to it, a sensation watching it at home completely different to anytime I have watched the SD DVD

The only thing i don't like is the remixed 5.1 which is inaccurate, but we simply haven't had time to go back to it. Therefore we had the mono track cleaned and polished a little and is now the perfect match for the picture.

Again - this BD is not reference quality - but for a true Black Christmas fan it will give you the opportunity to see it better than ever before - and possibly as good as you will ever see it.