'Smallville: The Complete Seventh Season' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-12-2008, 12:13 PM

Default 'Smallville: The Complete Seventh Season' - High-Def Digest Review

Kenneth's review of Smallville's seventh season is out. He compares it to the 'Heroes' Sophomore Slump, with some strong points, but a bit of drudgery. This Blu-ray set also fails to fly high, with strong but problematic video, merely standard Dolby Digital audio, and disappointing extras. For fans only.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1527/smallville_s7.html
Old 09-12-2008, 01:18 PM

Would it be possible to get a list of "recommended" episodes from Season 7, specifically those that move the mythos forward? You mention 5-6 hours of solid writing (out of almost 24); which episodes are these that "summarize" the season and are worth watching before the next season kicks off?
Old 09-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
Would it be possible to get a list of "recommended" episodes from Season 7, specifically those that move the mythos forward? You mention 5-6 hours of solid writing (out of almost 24); which episodes are these that "summarize" the season and are worth watching before the next season kicks off?
The problem (at least for me) is that the solid writing I referred to is sprinkled throughout a multitude of episodes. While I thought 5 or 6 hours were really good, these moments were scattered through all of the episodes. Unfortunately, like 'Heroes: Season 2,' you'll just have to plow through it all, good and bad, to prep for season 8.

Sorry I couldn't give you a more precise answer than that. Good luck!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Great review Ken, I wish they didn't cram so many episodes per disc.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-News.com View Post
Great review Ken, I wish they didn't cram so many episodes per disc.
Yeah! The whole season on 3 blu's (2 dual layer and 1 single layer).

This is probably the reason for the problematic video throughout the seventh season blu-ray release. And probably why Warner just gave us the DD5.1 soundtrack.

You'd think that at the cost of $50+ they could have at least given us 5 dual layered blu's and spread the episodes across the 5 discs and probably would have resulted in a better video and audio experience.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:14 PM

Kinda glad I went with the DVD now. Saved me like $20 and I got it two days early .

But I liked the season, but it did have a good bit of faults. Can't wait till the 18th for the new season
Old 09-12-2008, 03:46 PM

I have yet to buy any seasons. Why? I'm awaiting the release of the complete series. Season 8 should/could be the last so hopefully Warner has been preparing 1 - 4 for blu with an obvious direct port of the season 5 HD-DVD.

@ Randell. Let's hope 8 doesn't become GreenArrowVille again! Doomsday is sounding pretty kick ass from what I've read on kryptonsite!
Old 09-12-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
I have yet to buy any seasons. Why? I'm awaiting the release of the complete series. Season 8 should/could be the last so hopefully Warner has been preparing 1 - 4 for blu with an obvious direct port of the season 5 HD-DVD.

@ Randell. Let's hope 8 doesn't become GreenArrowVille again! Doomsday is sounding pretty kick ass from what I've read on kryptonsite!
I never really cared for Green Elbow . They need to bring back Flash and Cyborg.

I went to Kryptonsite for the first time Tuesday, in like 4 months. I missed the biggest portion of Season 7 on TV, but season 8, will be watched
Old 09-12-2008, 04:18 PM

Yeah I try going there for air dates but I usually get sucked into reading the new spoilers
Old 09-12-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
Yeah I try going there for air dates but I usually get sucked into reading the new spoilers
LOL, I got good will power, and don't have to read the spoilers. Had to get it after I went to see the forth 'Harry Potter' movie and had already seen 3/4 of the movie through trailers, pictures, and clips. Then read a lot on it. So now I never read reviews for movies themselves, or watch clips in-fear of spoilers. I hate them....