'Outbreak' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-10-2008, 01:08 PM

Default 'Outbreak' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter has revisited some mid-90s nostalgia in the form of 'Outbreak.' He says the movie is kinda fun, but this is a pretty bland Blu-ray, with fairly good video and audio, but zero supplements. Give it a rent.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1653/outbreak.html
Old 09-10-2008, 01:12 PM

Me own, me like, no N8 you can't have it
Old 09-10-2008, 01:57 PM

First of all the movie is rated R. Second of all, Outbreak is no way an AIDS metaphor! As the review mentions it is inspired by the Ebola scares. The fictional Mutaba virus doesn't bare ANY resemblance to AIDS and neither does the hysteria surrounding it match the AIDS hysteria, even at it's fever pitch. I have no idea where the idea of the film being about AIDS would even come from. The virus travels at first by direct contact and then becomes airborne. AIDS is only transmitted via bodily fluids. This review says the AIDS reference is "implicit". How? Nothing in the movie resembles even the stereotypes of AIDS, let alone the actual facts of it. If anything the movie is preying upon general fear of disease, and super-viruses, but certainly not AIDS in particular. The fact that AIDS is never mentioned in Outbreak is not proof that the movie is "implicitly" about AIDS! The reason AIDS is not mentioned in the film (and the reason Ebola IS), is because AIDS has no relevance to the plot (while Ebola does)!
Old 09-10-2008, 02:04 PM

I found it a great movie but these reviews are scaring me. After the disappointments in ERASER's picture quality and UNDER SIEGE 2's lack of TRUEHD, i'm leery of purchasing another of these discount titles.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:16 PM

Not that it matters too much, but AIDS is indeed referenced briefly in the movie near the beginning - in the sequence where they go through the different isolation levels of the USAMRIID facility at Biosafety Level 3 (Anthrax, Typhus, H.I.V.). Technically, Peter is correct that it's not uttered, however, since it's just referenced in onscreen text.

The Japanese audio/subtitle situation is a little odd since these tracks are physically on the disc, but are not selectable from the disc popup menu nor from my player.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:16 PM

ok just watched this movie on blu lastnight. yea the picture or sound wasnt the greatest. but how are you gonna rate the overall movie 3 stars? my opinion, this movie is done so well and the actors are great. awesome movie. terrible review.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Formerly weaponX6282

I watched this the other night and I was pleasantly surprised. Yeah, the audio and video are not great, but it does get the job done. Plus, this movie is just fun. Better than the three stars. I rarely read the movie review portion of HDD's reviews and I wish I didn't read this one. Oh well, everyone has their own opinion.

besides, for the $10 I paid for this, I couldn't go wrong.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathShrike View Post
First of all the movie is rated R. Second of all, Outbreak is no way an AIDS metaphor! As the review mentions it is inspired by the Ebola scares. The fictional Mutaba virus doesn't bare ANY resemblance to AIDS and neither does the hysteria surrounding it match the AIDS hysteria, even at it's fever pitch. I have no idea where the idea of the film being about AIDS would even come from. The virus travels at first by direct contact and then becomes airborne. AIDS is only transmitted via bodily fluids. This review says the AIDS reference is "implicit". How? Nothing in the movie resembles even the stereotypes of AIDS, let alone the actual facts of it. If anything the movie is preying upon general fear of disease, and super-viruses, but certainly not AIDS in particular. The fact that AIDS is never mentioned in Outbreak is not proof that the movie is "implicitly" about AIDS! The reason AIDS is not mentioned in the film (and the reason Ebola IS), is because AIDS has no relevance to the plot (while Ebola does)!

*psst* Peter is the reviewer. He gets things wrong most of the time. It's his modus operandi .

Old 09-10-2008, 03:11 PM

Wow for first time I rated PQ higher at 3.5/5 and AQ at 4/5 but I guess 3/5 I can partly agree on since a surround system rarely will get any work from this film.

At least its not like Twister BD where EE and DNR erased details of people's faces that you can see on DVD.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:48 PM

It's been a long time since i've seen it but I remember scenes like the explosion at the beginning of the film and the helicopter chase scenes as being sonically impressive on the DVD.

How are those sounds on the BD?