The Who - legendary 1977 Kilburn gig on Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-07-2008, 06:45 PM

Thumbs up The Who - legendary 1977 Kilburn gig on Blu-ray

They are one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time. For over four decades, they have changed modern music as we know it. But some of their most famous performances have never been released... until now.

On December 15, 1977, The Who performed before a select invited audience at the Gaumont State Theatre in Kilburn, North London, to record a concert for Jeff Stein's film, The Kids Are Alright, which turned out to be one of the last live performances by drummer Keith Moon. Shot in 35mm, this holy grail for fans has been digitally restored and remastered in high-definitiion for the ultimate The Who experience.

This must-have rock milestone also includes The Who's powerhouse London Coliseum gig from 1969, a never-before-seen rarity and one of the band's personal favorites.

Take an amazing journey with The Who like you've never seen or heard them before, featuring their greatest hits and hours of incredible footage! It's the rock discovery of the year!

Two incredible concerts - totaling 138 minutes!
Kilburn Songs: "I Can't Explain," "Substitute," "Baba O'Reilly (Teenage Wasteland)," "My Wife / Going Mobile," "Behind Blue Eyes," "Dreaming from the Waist," "Pinball Wizard," "I'm Free," "Tommy's Holiday Camp," "Summertime Blues," "Shakin' All Over," "My Generation," "Join Together," "Who Are You?," "Won't Get Fooled Again"

London Coliseum Songs: "Heaven and Hell," "I Can't Explain," "Fortune Teller," "Tattoo," "Young Man Blues," "A Quick One While He's Away," "Happy Jack," "I'm a Boy," "I'm Free," "Tommy's Holiday Camp," "See Me, Feel Me," "Summertime Blues," "Shakin' All Over," "My Generation"

Plus 70 minutes of rare Coliseum bonus tracks and extended versions including the first-ever long performance of Tommy: "A Quick One While He's Away," "Overture," "It's a Boy, " "1921," "Amazing Journey," "Christmas," "Acid Queen," "Pinball Wizard," "Do You Think It's Alright," "Fiddle About," "Tommy Can You Hear Me?," "There's a Doctor," "Go to the Mirror," "Smash the Mirror," "Miracle Cure," "Sally Simpson," "Tommy's Holiday Camp," "I'm Free," "We're Not Gonna Take It"
Old 11-19-2008, 04:22 PM

So has anyone picked this up yet? I'm wondering how the PQ/AQ on the Blu-ray version is.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:46 PM

yeah I am planning on ordering this from amazon for sure.
I have no idea if my local BB will ever get this one.
they haven't yet.
It has 2 shows on it, and the dvd was highly reviewed so I'll be getting this no doubt.
Love The Who, and have seen them many times in concert.
(saw them perform Quadrophenia in '96)
if you go to youtube you can watch all the individual performances if you just want to get an idea of how FUCKING AMAZING this one is.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:30 PM

I have this coming tom from BB online
Old 11-19-2008, 08:32 PM

definitly getting this..I dont even know if I can wait til my Bday!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:49 PM

I watched this last nite compliments of rental from Netflix.

The PQ on the Kilburn concert footage is pretty darned nice. Originally filmed in 35mm so it was fairly good source material.

There's some bonus footage that was 16mm and had problems with the lighting, etc.

The sound quality was ok by me, but I have a tin ear and only use the speakers on the TV.

If you're a fan of The Who definitely grab it, worth at least a rental

(Slightly longer and more detailed, though not that detailed, review is at Amazon.com. Definitely check the other reviews there too, a few serious fans have posted some reviews there and explore more of the detail behind the concert and DVD/Blu-ray releases)
Old 11-19-2008, 10:34 PM

Well thanks for the 1st insight i've heard. I did put in my amazon.ca order today but I paired it with The Messenger which won't ship for 2 weeks. I guess I'll be seeing for myself in 2+ weeks time.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:22 PM

Anyone else watch this yet on a 5.1 system and care to comment on the audio?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:32 AM

yeah, general instrument separation is impeccable. sometimes it seems a little too 'polished' in that regard. Watch 'Dreaming from the Waist' The Ox's bass lines could tear down brick walls! Keith has a tom-heavy sound but I think that's meant to drown out some of the sloppier playing he was doing. Highs are very clear.

Video-wise, i've noticed soft shots but considering all the cuts that are made its not a big deal as they tend to be very short softer cuts. Overall the image sharpness is good, and the primaries are very solid. Contrast is overall again, good, some blocked up shots or flat shots but I didn't notice any burnt out shots.

Luckily there doesn't seem to be any EE or DNR at all. The footage seems to convey when it was made. So don't expect the polish of a 2008 film.

The coliseum footage varies, it starts off a bit rough but it gets considerably better in sharpness. Plus you get 'Sally Simpson' and a couple other rarities, well, songs that haven't been on other live Tommy-era performances. The performance itself is monstrous. Check out 'Sparks' (Amazing Journey). Flipping incredible.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunchy View Post
yeah, general instrument separation is impeccable. sometimes it seems a little too 'polished' in that regard. Watch 'Dreaming from the Waist' The Ox's bass lines could tear down brick walls! Keith has a tom-heavy sound but I think that's meant to drown out some of the sloppier playing he was doing. Highs are very clear.

Video-wise, i've noticed soft shots but considering all the cuts that are made its not a big deal as they tend to be very short softer cuts. Overall the image sharpness is good, and the primaries are very solid. Contrast is overall again, good, some blocked up shots or flat shots but I didn't notice any burnt out shots.

Luckily there doesn't seem to be any EE or DNR at all. The footage seems to convey when it was made. So don't expect the polish of a 2008 film.

The coliseum footage varies, it starts off a bit rough but it gets considerably better in sharpness. Plus you get 'Sally Simpson' and a couple other rarities, well, songs that haven't been on other live Tommy-era performances. The performance itself is monstrous. Check out 'Sparks' (Amazing Journey). Flipping incredible.
Nice! Cant wait! Are both concerts in DTS-MA 5.1?