wish BD had HD combo - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-07-2008, 11:03 AM

Default wish BD had HD combo

why can't bluray make a combo disc like HDDVD, i'm never going to buy disney kids movies on bluray because my kids want to watch them in the family room (bluray player) the bsmt (only dvd player) and grand parent house (dvd player) so why buy bluray when dvd will work ono all. If bluray would make a combo disc like HDDVD or even get rid of that stupid digital copy and make it a SDVD copy, then that would make sense

anyone know if they plan on this in the future?
Old 09-07-2008, 11:04 AM

combo discs had a lot of compatability issues

they were also way too expensive
Old 09-07-2008, 12:28 PM

There were so many movies I wanted to buy on HD DVD but did not because they were combo discs... Here's to hoping that Blu-ray never crosses that line...
Old 09-07-2008, 12:31 PM

Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray is supposed to come with a standard DVD version as well. I think this is the most likely "Combo" on Blu-ray.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark View Post
why can't bluray make a combo disc like HDDVD, i'm never going to buy disney kids movies on bluray because my kids want to watch them in the family room (bluray player) the bsmt (only dvd player) and grand parent house (dvd player) so why buy bluray when dvd will work ono all. If bluray would make a combo disc like HDDVD or even get rid of that stupid digital copy and make it a SDVD copy, then that would make sense

anyone know if they plan on this in the future?
I can't remember which company it was, JVC (?), but they did tests and said the failure rate was too high to make it worth the money.

As Jimbo said, throwing in a standard DVD is as close as you'll get to a combo. And considering the problems I had with the limited amount of combo HD DVD's, we're better off.

fitprod
Old 09-07-2008, 01:13 PM

I'll never buy a combo disc and I hope we never see these. If you want an SD copy then buy the DVD.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:14 PM

I'd love to see a release with a DVD combo instead of the digital copy disc. But I think the reason why studios are not doing it is because that might lead to abuse.
Who's stopping anybody from buying the movie, keeping the BD and selling the DVD?
It will have to make do for now =/
Old 09-07-2008, 02:38 PM

The biggest reason that they CAN'T is because the DVD forum would never allow the BDA to do so.

There of course are other reasons why the won't.

Combo's were ony ever more expensive because they chose to make them more expensive. It's was probably pennies more to reproduce but they tacked on an extra five dollars retail.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:37 PM

I'm with perfectdark on this, but had I suffered problems with combos that some users have I might be singing a different tune. But as you know, it's the people who had problems with combos that are far more vocal than those who didn't. I personally didn't, hence why I would like this (similar to the reasons perfectdark provided, in addition to being able to loan it to friends who haven't bought in to next-gen disc formats). That being said, having a whole seperate DVD disc would be amazing, but never going to happen due to people abusing it and selling the DVD (as mentioned), not having rights from the DVD forum (also mentioned), among other things. The cynic in me says the reason, above all else, is because the BDA wants people to replace all their DVD players with Blu-Ray players ($$$), even those that aren't hooked up to HDTV's, used by children, hooked into HDTV's too small to really appreciate the difference, etc.

I think it's a completely valid request, and I'm surprised there's not more support for it. I understand bad experiences with HD DVD's, but those were on the same disc. From what I've heard, it's not physically possible on Blu-Rays to make a combo disc as HD DVD did. But oppose to wasting a disc for digital-copy, I much rather have that disc just be a DVD instead of settling for a digital-copy. For catalog titles this wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, since I likely am just rebuying the movie and still own the DVD version. But for new releases, that usually carry a higher MSRP anyways, this would be extremely appreciated.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:56 PM

I have a ton of HD DVD combos and I havent had a problem with any of them.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 09-08-2008 at 09:32 PM.