Where's all the anime? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-05-2008, 06:56 PM

Default Where's all the anime?

I read a while back about anime making the transition to BD. I've seen several Dragonball videos as well as Appleseed but that's about it. Where are all the good anime like Akira, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell and so on? Anybody have any info on upcoming anime releases other than the handful that have been released?
Old 09-05-2008, 07:24 PM

geneon/pioneer, the company that released some titles like "akira" on sd dvd, went belly-up and doesn't release anything in the u.s. any more. manga (which released "ninja scroll" and "ghost in the shell") probably doesn't see much of a market for anime on blu-ray since they don't move a lot of copies even on sd dvd. i assume that they same goes for adv films, the largest distributor of anime in north america.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:25 PM

We need Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:37 PM

disney's contract with ghibli might not cover blu-ray...
Old 09-05-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posters5 View Post
geneon/pioneer, the company that released some titles like "akira" on sd dvd, went belly-up and doesn't release anything in the u.s. any more. manga (which released "ninja scroll" and "ghost in the shell") probably doesn't see much of a market for anime on blu-ray since they don't move a lot of copies even on sd dvd. i assume that they same goes for adv films, the largest distributor of anime in north america.
Geneon is back; Funimation is distributing many of their titles for them. Funimation is now the largest distributor of anime in North America. In fact, they recently stole a number of licenses from ADV Films, which is struggling to stay afloat (all they are releasing nowadays are repackaged collections).
Old 09-05-2008, 08:00 PM

funimation taking over geneon's licenses isn't the same thing as "geneon is back."

as for adv...they stopped releasing interesting titles a long time ago.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:36 PM

I believe Manga is releasing the Dead Space prequel on Blu Ray in October, so I guess its something although its not original material

Oh and if you want to count Afro Samurai.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by posters5 View Post
disney's contract with ghibli might not cover blu-ray...
now this would be an interesting story....remember, My Neighbor Tortoro was originally released on DVD by FOX....that bad boy is very hard to find (i has mines!). maybe Disney has blu rights, as they have domestic DVD rights.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:35 PM

Maybe we are going to see if Disney can release Ghibli movies on BD next year I suposse, because I guess that in 2009 Disney is going to bring the new Miyazaki movie Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
Old 09-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottpilgrim View Post
I believe Manga is releasing the Dead Space prequel on Blu Ray in October, so I guess its something although its not original material

Oh and if you want to count Afro Samurai.
Manga through Anchor Bay/Starz that is.