'Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-04-2008, 11:50 PM

Default 'Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow' - High-Def Digest Review

Kenneth has reviewed 'Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow.' He says this hits the family flick nail right on the head. His son is also a big fan. This Blu-ray soars, with excellent video and resonant DTS HD MA 7.1 surround audio. Not too many supplements, but still worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1567...ftomorrow.html

Last edited by Attebery; 09-05-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
Josh has reviewed 'Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow.' He says this hits the family flick nail right on the head. His son is also a big fan. This Blu-ray soars, with excellent video and resonant DTS HD MA 7.1 surround audio. Not too many supplements, but still worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1567...ftomorrow.html
Nope, sorry Mike - Ken reviewed this one.....

When I first read your post I was like, "Josh has a kid? I didn't know that..."*

Ken (on the other hand) mentions his son quite a bit....

*If he does, great.... Josh has just never mentioned a kid before so....
Old 09-05-2008, 12:03 AM

Whoops! Fixed now!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:38 AM

I'm now willing to give this more attention than before. Ultimate Avengers, Dr Strange, Iron Man, all were abysmal. But I guess this has the opportunity to be better considering I can't really compare it to source material (unless I compare it to Young Avengers, but this is so radically different I doubt it's possible).
Old 09-05-2008, 12:42 AM

I'm curious if it has that "kid dynamic". Where they always applaud each other, and say "catch phrases" from today. Just curious.

Also, how is the voice acting? I think that tends to be my biggest fear about "kid oriented" material. They always tend to get the most annoying voices.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:50 AM

Ultron, from that pic, looks like a transplant from the MTV Spiderman series--which I loved!

The animation looks anime-ish, but I've hated all of the Marvel stuff so far. Hmmm, I'll wait and see on this one, there's no rush.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
I'm curious if it has that "kid dynamic". Where they always applaud each other, and say "catch phrases" from today. Just curious.

Also, how is the voice acting? I think that tends to be my biggest fear about "kid oriented" material. They always tend to get the most annoying voices.
Yes and no. At first, while in the relative safety of their Arctic Circle hideout, the young heroes do have a certain "kid dynamic." However, when they get out in the real, Ultron-dominated world (which happens within fifteen minutes or so), that dynamic changes almost immediately. They begin to bicker, question themselves, and bark orders at each other in panic. They actually have to learn to get along, and the results are surprisingly mature. Don't get me wrong, they're still kids, but I found their portrayal to be relevant and on point. The change they go through as they enter the fray (so to speak) was as realistic as I could have hoped for.

I also didn't notice any forced "catch phrases" or distracting modern slang.

As for the voice acting, it's strong across the board without a weak voice in the bunch. Bruce Banner's voice gets a bit annoying since he's a cranky old man, and the Hulk's voice doesn't sound as weighty as it should, but the kids are spot on (oh yeah, the Vision's voice is a bit too C3PO for my tastes). Even Pym, with the youngest, most naive voice of all the heroes, still sounds exactly how I'd expect a boy his age to sound. Their deliveries are fun, emotive, and unsettled at all the right times.

Not to send you scurrying away from my review, but DVDTalk has a positive review of the title as well that echoes my sentiments: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/34542...s-of-tomorrow/

All around, I didn't have a problem with any of it. Again, I don't mean to oversell a kids' flick, but I thought it would be absolutely horrible when I sat down to watch it for the first time. Hope that extra info helps!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:19 AM

I'll rent it. Hopefully, I can. The stores by me are extremely slow at updating their selection of BD titles.

I have to say that I enjoyed the other Marvel material. I know very well it isn't the greatest...but I have this thing where I appreciate the effort. Especially with the lack of Adult American Animation.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:23 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post

Your questions inspired me to add another paragraph into the review, specifically about the "kid dynamic" and voice acting. Thanks!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
Your questions inspired me to add another paragraph into the review, specifically about the "kid dynamic" and voice acting. Thanks!
Glad I can inspire!

I only mention it because of the recent kid shows. I cannot stand Teen Titans for those very reasons. I don't know if the show got better, but the ones I saw were painful.

*Ugh, I need to sleep. Too many odd errors...even for me.

Last edited by twonunpackmule; 09-05-2008 at 01:37 AM.