Your Most Surprising Blu Buy?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-02-2008, 02:42 PM

Default Your Most Surprising Blu Buy??

Let me explain this a little better. What movie, that was given negative reviews for pq, aq, or the movie itself, did you buy that you were surprisingly pleased with??? What movie, with positive reviews all around, did you buy that you were most disappointed with???

Most pleased buy: Bram Strokers Dracula(PQ). Thought the pq was great.

Most disappointed buy: Have to say 300(PQ). Bit too dark and grainy for my taste. The movie, aq, and the features were top notch though,imho.

How about you guys and gals...my fellow brothers and sisters???
Old 09-02-2008, 02:46 PM

Dark City.. Not perfect but by any means but looks great for the most part with tons of detail on many shots. Jennifer C was DNR'd to hell and looks blurry but some made it sound as if the majority of the movie was like that when it is far from it.

edit: the audio on Flight of the Phoenix.. holy shit!!!! Awesome

Movie itself was entertaining enough.

Surprising film that I never heard of: Sunshine (minus the weird ending that I would have preferred gone differently)
Old 09-02-2008, 02:49 PM

most dissapointed buy: the descent, thought it was an awful, unscary movie that was supposed to be the first great horror movie to come out in these days of garbage horror movies. in my mind, just another garbage horror flick. also lots of grain in pq.

most pleased buy: as for film itself, most of m bds all had a decent rating but for pq wise, i'd probably have to say the assasination of jesse james by the coward robert ford, i thought the pq was very good and should of have gotten at least a 4/5, very clear and crisp.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
most dissapointed buy: the descent, thought it was an awful, unscary movie that was supposed to be the first great horror movie to come out in these days of garbage horror movies. in my mind, just another garbage horror flick. also lots of grain in pq.

most pleased buy: as for film itself, most of m bds all had a decent rating but for pq wise, i'd probably have to say the assasination of jesse james by the coward robert ford, i thought the pq was very good and should of have gotten at least a 4/5, very clear and crisp.
I would agree JJ is a fantastic movie but I thought the PQ was pretty bad.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:56 PM

Best Surprise. Definately 28 Weeks later. It was my first DTHS-MA HD disc ever and I didn't have an HDMI receiver back then. The 1.5 mbps DTS track was totally rad. The picture quality was also amazing. The grain on the film looking beautiful.

Worst Surprise. Batman Begins PQ. I had it on HD-DVD and it was okay. But when I got it on Blu-Ray when it was finally released, and watched it over, I realized how much the video transfer was really not as good as some of my other favs. Which is dissapointed for it to be Batman.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:59 PM

Most pleased: 'Goodfellas'. I can't remember if I had read the review yet when I first watched it on Blu, but I do remember being awestruck upon first firing it up. Almost looks like a modern film.

Most disappointed: 'Click'. Don't know what it is, but even with my display being calibrated I STILL cannot get myself to find this one being worth 4 stars... what's strange is that there used to be a Blu-ray demo disc in retail stores before the street date, and the clip from this one looked fantastic on there.

Runner-up for most disappointing: 'Predator'. I know this one is either hit or miss to fans, but after reading most of the positive reviews in forums I said to hell with it... and was tremendously let down. Don't get me wrong, it is certainly watchable, and a huge step-up from the DVD, but I think Fox could have done better. (What's with the VHS quality shot of Arnold falling off the cliff into the water right before he first covers himself in mud??)
Old 09-02-2008, 03:10 PM

I think most disspointing, since it was given a 4 star PQ would be Big Fish.
I wanted to buy it in the first place, but the PQ that was given was not how I saw it.
(And from what I read most of the people who bought it thought the same. So I am not alone)

Most pleased? Dunno, TNBC I think really "shines" lol.
Overall I am happy with all my BD purchases, their all still supieror to the DVD.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post

*gasp* say it ain't so!
Old 09-02-2008, 03:36 PM

Most surprised: Halloween, Dracula - neither even remotely deserved the bashings they received, IMO. Well done in all departments for both.

Most disappointed: Twilight Zone The Movie - because I truly like that movie a lot, and I don't think they even tried to do anything with it. To me it looked no better than the DVD released at the same time upscaled.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:41 PM

My biggest surprise was Doomsday. I missed it in the theatre and got it on Blu-Ray the first day. Not only is the movie incredible but the PQ is probably the best out of any Blu-Ray I own.