Why do I feel like us BR buyers are being punished? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-02-2008, 01:56 AM

Default Why do I feel like us BR buyers are being punished?

Nightmare Before Xmas got a great DVD gift set with a bust, BR buyers got nothing, not even the pop out Jack head case.

Transformers DVDs have had a transforming Prime box, and now a transforming Megatron case, BR buyers get nothing.

Starship Troopers Trilogy was released on DVD with a free Marauder figure. The BR editions got nothing.

Heroes Season 2 had a DVD edition packaged with a Kensei mask, the BR edition had nothing.

I do not know why, but looking at all this, it feels like those of us who have adopted Blu-Ray are being punished for doing so with getting ripped off by higher than necessary prices and not getting any of the goodies for ourselves.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:02 AM

the trinkets are aimed at dvd-buyers because they still outnumber blu-ray-buyers by a huge ratio.

plus, don't most of us demand "standard" packaging and profess to hate special cases such as the warner books?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:12 AM

I would rather have an awesome picture/sound then some gimmick to make me buy a SD movie
Old 09-02-2008, 02:32 AM

Blu-ray cost more to do?

Who cares anyway?

At the end of the day, i got HD Media to get the best picture quality i can
Old 09-02-2008, 02:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by posters5 View Post
plus, don't most of us demand "standard" packaging and profess to hate special cases such as the warner books?
I certainly dont. I absolutely love the coffee table books Warner puts out. Along with the packaging Sony used for Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:59 AM

it depends on the person. some people refused to buy any warner titles that were released in the cardboard snapper cases.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:01 AM

I agree. We're getting screwed. Little thin box with no frills sucks. We needn't feel 'privileged' that they're deigning to honor us with blu rays.We pay lots for them so we should get the swag as well.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:15 AM

Special cases suck.

I can't stand having some massive box on my shelf and does nothing but take up space and look like crap (Dirty Harry collection, I would buy you if you were in normal cases )
Old 09-02-2008, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Nightmare Before Xmas got a great DVD gift set with a bust, BR buyers got nothing, not even the pop out Jack head case.

Transformers DVDs have had a transforming Prime box, and now a transforming Megatron case, BR buyers get nothing.

Starship Troopers Trilogy was released on DVD with a free Marauder figure. The BR editions got nothing.

Heroes Season 2 had a DVD edition packaged with a Kensei mask, the BR edition had nothing.

I do not know why, but looking at all this, it feels like those of us who have adopted Blu-Ray are being punished for doing so with getting ripped off by higher than necessary prices and not getting any of the goodies for ourselves.
Personally, I don't have any interest in those sorts of things. I prefer a plain old Blu-ray case that sits on a shelf uniformly. I understand where you're coming from, but some of us buy Blu-ray for the better picture and sound quality and not for the added collectibles.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:40 AM
O_o

Why does the argument always have to be so definitive and narrow?! Why would we ever have to decide between best pic/sound OR a giftset? Studios can easily offer both and they will...

The good news is that beginning Q4, we will see lots of gift sets and for the people that hate them: you can buy the standalone movie editions instead. See? Choice is good, everyone is happy.