1st review of Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2 + Robert Harris' thoughts - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-30-2008, 07:41 AM

Default 1st review of Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2 + Robert Harris' thoughts

Can't wait for September 9th!!

Quote:

THE VIDEO

Miramax presents Kill Bill in 1080p widescreen using the MPEG-4 video codec in the 2.40:1 aspect ratio. Colors are very bright, crisp, and smooth. Dark tones and black levels are appropriately deep, while the print image looks solid. Image quality is very detailed and sharp in high definition despite instances of grain and several tiny flaws. Overall, this is a solid visual presentation. Optional subtitles are available in English SDH and Spanish.

THE AUDIO

Miramax presents Kill Bill in English PCM 5.1 (48kHz, 24-bit), as well as English and French 5.1 Dolby Digital. Sound effects are nicely reinforced by the surrounds, and the rear speakers emit audio with solid force and balance. Dialogue is very clear and easy to understand, while the music is thumping as it should. The front speakers do a terrific job, and overall this presentation is pretty darn good.

http://www.moviefreak.com/artman/pub...ill_vol1.shtml
Quote:

THE VIDEO

Miramax presents Kill Bill: Volume 2 in 1080p widescreen using the MPEG-4 video codec in the 2.40:1 aspect ratio. Colors are extremely bright, crisp, and well-saturated. Dark tones and black levels are appropriately deep, while the print image looks solid. Image quality is very detailed and sharp in high definition and the lack of dirt or artifacts is appreciated, although instances of grain are apparent. Whereas the DVD edition was plagued by edge enhancement and halos around the edges, this Blu-ray sort of makes up for this but it isn't a great effort like one would expect. Nevertheless, this is a solid visual presentation. Optional subtitles are available in English SDH and Spanish.

THE AUDIO

Miramax presents Kill Bill: Volume 2 in English PCM 5.1 (48kHz, 24-bit), as well as English and French 5.1 Dolby Digital. Sound effects are nicely reinforced by the surrounds, and the rear speakers emit audio with solid force and balance. Dialogue is very clear and easy to understand, while the music is thumping as it should. The front speakers do a terrific job, and overall this presentation is pretty darn good.

http://www.moviefreak.com/artman/pub...ill_vol2.shtml
Quote:
A few words about... Kill Bill: Volumes 1 & 2 -- in Blu-ray

After Gangs of New York being revisited by Disney on Blu-ray, I was concerned about what might occur with Mr. Tarantino's Kill Bill epic.

After screening them this evening, I can tell you that I need not have been.

The two Kill Bills have been meticulously brought to Blu-ray, with color, densities and black & white images intact, and with a resounding soundtrack ready to clean the lint from one's speakers.

Whether there may have been a bit of digital image manipulation I cannot be certain, but what I can report as an absolute is that the films on Blu-ray, enlarged to 100"+, reproduce the textures as viewed in the cinema. There should be no reason to nit-pick here.

This is brilliant filmmaking, with superbly reproduced imagery and uncompressed audio delivered via the Blu-ray system. The release should make every home theater aficionado thrilled to add them to a quality film library.

If I have any gripe with Disney, it is that they still refuse to acknowledge the production date of their films, even as a part of copyright. All that we are offered is "2008 Blu-ray Release." For the record they were released in 2003 and 2004.

For educational and historical accuracy it would be nice if the public had easy access to this information.

For anyone with a love of the cinema, Kill Bill: Volumes 1 & 2 should be a required viewing.

Disney has come through with extremely high quality software that makes Blu-ray shine as it should.

Highly Recommended.

RAH
Old 08-30-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBrooks1 View Post
Can't wait for September 9th!!
Same here. Looks to be a great release. Thanks for posting this.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:20 AM

Pre-ordered them months ago, glad the news is good!
Old 08-30-2008, 09:34 AM

Can't wait to crank up the 5,6,7,8's!!!
Old 08-30-2008, 09:43 AM

Very good news! I'm looking forward to these flicks!
Old 08-30-2008, 10:42 AM

Hope they are region free, the Aussie release isn't until the end of October.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papallo101 View Post
Hope they are region free, the Aussie release isn't until the end of October.
Hello,

It's region free, HDMoviesoure confirmed me this information, because they tested the 2 blu-ray for a demo, but they can't sell them before the release date.
So it's region free
Old 08-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Formerly candymangt

This is great news.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:28 PM

This is real cinema, I cherish this film way too much. I knew this was going to have stellar PQ, I recently rented Smart People and there is a Miramax Film Collaboration spot in it, and there is footage from KB Vol. 1 in 1080p and it looked riched in colors, sharpness, contrast, really well rendered.

Cant wait!

I was kinda of hoping for TrueHD... since Disney has already preferred that codec.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
Pre-ordered them months ago, glad the news is good!

Same here. Cant wait for them.