Waterworld - Extended Edition - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-28-2008, 02:09 PM

Default Waterworld - Extended Edition

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/waterworld.html

Universal Home Video has announced an extended edition of Waterworld which stars Kevin Costner and Dennis Hopper. The 2-disc release will be available to own from the 4th November, and should retail at around $19.98. Both the extended version (2 Hours 57 Minutes) and theatrical version (2 Hours 16 Minutes) will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround tracks. The only confirmed extra feature right now is the trailer.

Ok this is just the DVD version at the moment, but considering that Waterworld hasn't been released on yet On Universal are playing catch up with their titles they released on , chances are it will release the same day. Hope they put it on a BD50 with DTS HD 5.1, some more extras would be nice.

Last edited by buckster666; 08-28-2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: n/a
Old 08-28-2008, 02:16 PM

Niiiiice!

I always liked this flick. At last we get the 3 hour cut.

I'm there.

EDIT--crap, I just noticed the part where it says SD. Well, I hope they release the BD as well day and date.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:45 PM

Everytime I see this movie the scene where he drinks his piss at the beginning always comes to mind. I can never get it out of my head. I've never seen the extended version though. Is it worth checking out if you are a fan?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:47 PM

I doubt this is coming. Ill hope, but still doubt
Old 08-28-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear31 View Post
Everytime I see this movie the scene where he drinks his piss at the beginning always comes to mind. I can never get it out of my head. I've never seen the extended version though. Is it worth checking out if you are a fan?
Fuck yeah!!
Old 08-28-2008, 03:01 PM

This is one of those movies that is so bad it's good for me. I'm interested to see what a new cut brings to the table.... I wasn't even aware that that much was cut out...
Old 08-28-2008, 03:29 PM

Here is what IMDB say about the cut footage.

The ABC television version restores nearly 40 minutes of material Universal Pictures and Kevin Costner cut from the original release against the will of director 'Kevin Reynolds' . It explains more clearly the relationship between the Mariner and Helen, and the secret behind the origin of Dry Land. The additional material includes:

After the Mariner's capture at the Atol, the inhabitants of the Atol examine his belongings. Among them they find a ThighMaster, which they believe is an assassin's weapon used to strangle people, and a flute, which they think is used to distract an opponent.

A scene that explains where exactly the Mariner got the jetski he uses to reach the Deacon's ship to rescue the little girl. The survivor's of the Atol massacre are ambushed by 2 of the Deacon's men on jetskis, the Mariner kills both men and takes their weapons and one jetski.

A scene that shows how Gregor managed to find Helen and the Mariner after their boat was burned down. ( He followed the smoke. )

At least 10 minutes worth of new scenes that further detail life aboard the Deacon's ship. Including how they obtain their cigarettes and other equipment.

A scene that reveals that the two skeletons found in the shack near the end of the movie are indeed the girl's parents instead of just letting the audience guess it.

Scenes that show the Mariner building the new boat he uses the leave the island at the end of the movie.

For the first airing on ABC which restored footage cut from the film, we see Helen and Enola standing atop the cliff watching the Mariner depart before the films end credits. As they are standing there they uncover a plaque which tells us that they are at the peak of Mt. Everest. This scene was not shown in the re-broadcast.

A significantly re-edited version of "Waterworld" has been shown on the USA cable TV network. This version included somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes of new previously unreleased footage
Old 08-28-2008, 03:31 PM

I have always really liked this movie - irregardless of all the flak it took back in the day. If it comes to Blu-ray i`ll buy it for sure.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:47 PM

I like this movie and dont think that I have ever seen the extended cut. I had this on HD DVD and will dip again on BD when it comes. The extended edition would be a bonus if they give it to us. That seems like alot of footage. Perhaps we can get some seamless branching.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:00 PM

Big fan of Waterworld. If we get a Blu version I will be very happy.