Afro Samurai is incredible - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-28-2008, 02:08 PM

Default Afro Samurai is incredible

Now most of the time when I get a new BR I usually dont go on about how great the actual disc or movie is mainly because the reviews(for the ost part) are right on the money. But seeing how I have not seen a review up for Afro Samurai I feel I have to inform anyone that has the slightest interest in anime, Samuel Jackson, or highly stylized fight sequences, this is a disc for you. It was a bit of a blind buy for me and even though I like anime I was a bit hesitant on the purchase even though it did get some pretty good critical notice. The animation is beautifully done and the BR really makes it pop. Even though the story is a basic revenge theme its very well done with some mystery elements towards the end.Althought im not a bighiphop fan I foundmyelf enjoyingthe score quite a bit which was produced by RZA(I think thats who it was) I can not reccomend this enough.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:17 PM

It's spelled RZA.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
It's spelled RZA.

Thanks for having my back, lol.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:31 PM

I peeped this BD and I will it is awesome.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:53 PM

I started this last night, seen it before, but just got through the first episode on BD, love it! The art pops in HD, which was already amazing. The DDTrueHD track is incredible! For 13bucks on amazon u can't beat it.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Contributor

Hi all. The 'Afro Samurai' review is finished and awaiting edits. While I agree with most of your impressions (the series and audio are great), I was underwhelmed by the video. It's good to be sure, but it doesn't have near the pop or clarity of other 2D animation releases on BD -- in fact, I thought the transfer was quite soft. It does offer a vast improvement over the DVD though.

Anyway, thought I'd chime in with a brief take on the disc before my full review is posted later on. Thanks as always for posting!
Old 08-28-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
Hi all. The 'Afro Samurai' review is finished and awaiting edits. While I agree with most of your impressions (the series and audio are great), I was underwhelmed by the video. It's good to be sure, but it doesn't have near the pop or clarity of other 2D animation releases on BD -- in fact, I thought the transfer was quite soft. It does offer a vast improvement over the DVD though.

Anyway, thought I'd chime in with a brief take on the disc before my full review is posted later on. Thanks as always for posting!
Thanks Ken. Looking forward to the review. I did notice the video wasn't breathtaking, I'm just such a fan of the artwork on here, any upgrade over the SD looks awesome. The art on this is amazing I should say...
Old 08-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney7 View Post
Thanks Ken. Looking forward to the review. I did notice the video wasn't breathtaking, I'm just such a fan of the artwork on here, any upgrade over the SD looks awesome. The art on this is amazing I should say...
Definitely. The art and design work is gorgeous and inspired -- I simply cannot wait for 2009 and the second season of the show!
Old 08-28-2008, 04:01 PM

2009, damn I thought it would be sooner.....
Old 08-28-2008, 05:05 PM

Anime? Samurai? Stylized fight scenes? Sammy L? RZA?

My interest is piqued.