Transformers Audio Question - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 495
Default Transformers Audio Question

Hey, Whoever reviewed the version can you tell me if there is SFX (explosion) for the Blackout shockwave during the outpost attack.

Digitalbits is reporting the LFE was fixed. I'm trying to figure out based on the HD DVD whether or not there IS a blast. Last time I watched it it just seems like there's a SFX missing. Was this a problem with a batch of discs or is that how it's supposed to be.

I never could find clarification on this when it came out. Thought someone who has seen the Blu version could shed some light.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

There's plenty of bass during that scene on the HD DVD. Toshiba players have a bug where the bass management doesn't work properly unless you go into the setup menu and turn the SPDIF setting to "PCM" rather than "Bitstream" (This is assuming you're using either HDMI or multi-channel analog for audio).

This is a bug in the Toshiba HD DVD player, not a problem with the Transformers HD DVD or the movie's sound mix.
__________________
Josh Z
Former Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 495
Default

Well, I'm unable to run HDMI at the moment but even in the downconverted the sound rocks the house EXCEPT that scene where you see the big blastwave. The Chopper coming in right before it rattles the room but not when he's firing at the tanks and such.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
There's plenty of bass during that scene on the HD DVD. Toshiba players have a bug where the bass management doesn't work properly unless you go into the setup menu and turn the SPDIF setting to "PCM" rather than "Bitstream" (This is assuming you're using either HDMI or multi-channel analog for audio).

This is a bug in the Toshiba HD DVD player, not a problem with the Transformers HD DVD or the movie's sound mix.
Josh Z, I copied this from the article that was posted on HDD. "Thanks to the thorough testing of AVSForum members MauneyM and others, it has been discovered that changing the "Digital Out SPDIF" setting in the player from Bitstream to PCM re-enables bass and speaker management over the analog audio connections." It does not say anything about HDMI and I have the XA2. There is no difference on the bass for me with the SPDIF set to PCM or bitstream and I am running HDMI bitstream to my Denon 3808. I think the later FW updates corrected that problem. I agree there was good bass during that Blackout shockwave during the outpost attack scene, but not great. I think we are just hoping that the BD with DTHD and 24-bit sound will make it sound more fuller with a little more intense bass.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-28-2008, 01:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bases1616 View Post
Josh Z, I copied this from the article that was posted on HDD. "Thanks to the thorough testing of AVSForum members MauneyM and others, it has been discovered that changing the "Digital Out SPDIF" setting in the player from Bitstream to PCM re-enables bass and speaker management over the analog audio connections." It does not say anything about HDMI and I have the XA2. There is no difference on the bass for me with the SPDIF set to PCM or bitstream and I am running HDMI bitstream to my Denon 3808. I think the later FW updates corrected that problem. I agree there was good bass during that Blackout shockwave during the outpost attack scene, but not great. I think we are just hoping that the BD with DTHD and 24-bit sound will make it sound more fuller with a little more intense bass.

I have my A35 set to bitstream for SPDIF and I am using HDMI for audio bitstreaming to an 885 Onkyo for decode and the LFE is insanely powerfull. No issues. I would agree that this should not apply (and does not for me) when using HDMI for audio and bitstreaming.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-28-2008, 02:07 AM
cheez avenger's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 13,694
Default

Sounds great on my newer A3 running through my Onkyo 705. Josh had told me that earlier A3 models had "small" "large" theater settings that had to be tweaked.


It certainly kicks on my setup.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bases1616 View Post
Josh Z, I copied this from the article that was posted on HDD.
You might want to take a look at who wrote that article.

Quote:
It does not say anything about HDMI and I have the XA2. There is no difference on the bass for me with the SPDIF set to PCM or bitstream and I am running HDMI bitstream to my Denon 3808.
I should clarify. The bug affects HDMI when you're using the player's internal decoding and outputting everything as PCM. It does not affect the Bitstream function. How could it? When you use the Bitstream function, the player sends the raw data of the disc without touching it.
__________________
Josh Z
Former Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
You might want to take a look at who wrote that article.



I should clarify. The bug affects HDMI when you're using the player's internal decoding and outputting everything as PCM. It does not affect the Bitstream function. How could it? When you use the Bitstream function, the player sends the raw data of the disc without touching it.
Thanks for clarifying, but you cant assume ANYTHING with the Toshiba players IMHO. Lots of little setup tweaks/bugs through the history of these players.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddS View Post
Thanks for clarifying, but you cant assume ANYTHING with the Toshiba players IMHO. Lots of little setup tweaks/bugs through the history of these players.
I also tried using the XA2 last night to decode the audio internally and sent it out PCM and still no difference. I have received my answers from this forum and others. The DTHD audio on the BD is better than the DD+ on the HD DVD. I will be able to test this on my equipment next week and look forward to it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bases1616 View Post
I also tried using the XA2 last night to decode the audio internally and sent it out PCM and still no difference.
Are you not hearing anything at all during the blast, or are you just not satisfied that it's bassy enough?

The o/p was claiming that there's no sound effect at all during the blast, which is not correct. There's a sound effect there, but if the HD DVD player is set up incorrectly it may not output it.
__________________
Josh Z
Former Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Transformers: Age of Extinction' & 'Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D' HDD Reviews Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 137 10-22-2014 01:17 PM
Transformers audio question Dark Lord Greg Blu-ray Software General Discussion 3 11-28-2008 04:29 AM
Transformers audio low cyberlaz HD DVD Hardware General Discussion 10 11-12-2007 04:39 PM
Transformers Audio Lacking not an issue Pimboli High Definition Smackdown 23 10-22-2007 01:22 PM
PS3Center.net Give Transformers a 10 on audio Monty HD High Definition Smackdown 17 10-16-2007 08:22 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off