'The Adventures of Robin Hood' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-26-2008, 01:00 AM

Default 'The Adventures of Robin Hood' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter has reviewed 'The Adventures of Robin Hood.' He's a big fan ofthis lively Technicolor treat. This Blu-ray is magnificent, one of Warner's Ultra-Resolution remasters. A must-own.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/877/...nhood1938.html
Old 08-26-2008, 01:10 AM

Sounds just as good as the HD DVD which I already own and will be keeping.

Until my two HD DVD players crap out I won't be replacing any titles that offer little to no upgrade over their HD counterparts.

Still, good for those who don't have this in high def yet.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:19 AM

Wholeheartedly agree with the reviewer's lament that most of these classics go ignored by younger generations. I went to this forum's poll for this week's releases and my heart sunk when I saw that several more people were planning to pick up "Dude Where's My Car?" over this. I can only hope it's because many already own it on HD-DVD and don't want to HD double-dip (yet). But hopefully your review can convince a few others to pick this up. What a true Technicolor treat. I haven't seen an HD transfer for this movie yet and I can't wait! I got in on the 30% WarnerBros.com code recently and got this for $16.02. I can't wait for this in the mail.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarvin View Post
Wholeheartedly agree with the reviewer's lament that most of these classics go ignored by younger generations. I went to this forum's poll for this week's releases and my heart sunk when I saw that several more people were planning to pick up "Dude Where's My Car?" over this. I can only hope it's because many already own it on HD-DVD and don't want to HD double-dip (yet). But hopefully your review can convince a few others to pick this up. What a true Technicolor treat. I haven't seen an HD transfer for this movie yet and I can't wait! I got in on the 30% WarnerBros.com code recently and got this for $16.02. I can't wait for this in the mail.
Even if Dude Where's My Car was the only release and it got 1 vote, it'd be one too many.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:32 AM

Wow. This wasn't even on my radar. I'm a sucker for highly recommended HDD blus though so I'll pick this up. I'm just going to wait for a better deal though. I have way too many orders as it is.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:06 AM

On the stats bar it says the encode uses Mpeg2 while the review mentions VC-1, just like the HD DVD. I might be wrong, but this would be the first time that Warner Brothers used a codec other than VC-1 or at least the first time they would re-encode a movie with a codec other than what was used on HD DVD version. Does anybody know what was used.

As for the movie, I've seen this on HD DVD and it is a great classic and looks breath taking in HD. The clothes have such great detail. You can can see individual threads. The only problem that I noticed is that faces look soft, similar to those in Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow. If I didn't already have this on HD DVD, I would buy it again, and will when my player breaks down sooner or later.

EDIT: I reread the review and I mistook the extras specs for the movies specs. Never mind.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:10 AM

^^^^^ 99.999999 % sure it's the same exact VC-1 encode from the HD DVD.

EDIT: The MPEG-2 is for the 480i SD extras only. The 1080i/p extras are VC-1. The feature film is VC-1.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
^^^^^ 99.999999 % sure it's the same exact VC-1 encode from the HD DVD.

EDIT: The MPEG-2 is for the 480i SD extras only. The 1080i/p extras are VC-1. The feature film is VC-1.
Thanks, Super. I noticed it just before you posted.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:53 AM

Hmmm.... might have to pick this up for cheap on HD DVD.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:01 AM

^^^ $9.99 for me... can't beat that.