The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning on BD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-24-2008, 11:36 PM
O_o

Default The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning on BD?

I saw this banner on Disney's official site?

Go here http://disneydvd.disney.go.com/movie.../05741200.html and hit refresh a few times until it shows up in the top right corner. If you want to see for yourself.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:11 AM

as a kid i used to want to

nevermind but yeah i saw this too when i was looking through my rewards and browsing their site. i'd probably buy it since i'm now a sucker for disney blu rays especially animated ones like the old days
Old 08-25-2008, 12:18 AM
Former Member

geo, i think it probably just got dropped, and if they ever put mermaid on blu, they'll put this inevitable shitfest on blu within a few months.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:43 AM
formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER

well the dvd premiere was held this weekend in hollywood and they gave everyone who was there a copy of it on standard dvd to take home with them after it was screened using a christie cp 2000 2 k DLP projector at a local cinema here, all the billboards that are up around the city for it make no mention of it being on bluray, they all say own it on dvd.

for those who are wondering, its actually pretty decent. considering its a Direct to dvd movie, my understanding is that John lassater stopped production on all of the direct to video disney sequals except for this one, when he took over as the man incharge of disneys animation department.

There is some real love that went into making this film and it showed on the big screen, dont get me wrong its not with out its flaws and its no where near as good as the first movie, but its a big leap over the previous high set for a direct to video movie from disney Cinderella 3. its definately worth a look if you are a disney animation fan
Old 08-25-2008, 02:40 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

Bummer it's not coming to Blu-ray. I won't even bother with the DVD version. Saw the high-def trailer for this, and it looked fantastic (Video wise). The movie is probably mediocre, and The Little Mermaid movie has always disturbed me, but I would still check it out whenever it ends up coming to Blu-ray.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-News.com View Post
Bummer it's not coming to Blu-ray. I won't even bother with the DVD version. Saw the high-def trailer for this, and it looked fantastic (Video wise). The movie is probably mediocre, and The Little Mermaid movie has always disturbed me, but I would still check it out whenever it ends up coming to Blu-ray.
The original Hans Christian Anderson story would probably freak you out even more...it doesn't turn out quite as happy as the Disney version. Anyway, direct-to-video Disney crap like this makes the baby Jesus cry.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:12 AM
formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER

you really shouldnt knock a movie till you have seen it, While most of the prior disney direct to video movies have been poor to mediocore.
this was actually pretty well done, as i said above it has its flaws but its pretty enjoyable. no where near as good as the original but leaps and bounds above the second movie. and like i said this was the only dtv movie that production was not shut down on when lassater took over the animation dept at disney. and its also the supposedly the final direct to video animated sequal that will ever be produced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post
The original Hans Christian Anderson story would probably freak you out even more...it doesn't turn out quite as happy as the Disney version. Anyway, direct-to-video Disney crap like this makes the baby Jesus cry.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU HD DEFENDER View Post
you really shouldnt knock a movie till you have seen it, While most of the prior disney direct to video movies have been poor to mediocore.
this was actually pretty well done, as i said above it has its flaws but its pretty enjoyable. no where near as good as the original but leaps and bounds above the second movie. and like i said this was the only dtv movie that production was not shut down on when lassater took over the animation dept at disney. and its also the supposedly the final direct to video animated sequal that will ever be produced.
Final sequel eh? Your mouth to God's ears. I'll believe it when I see it. Listen...these flicks are complete crap meant to make monies...there is zero art associated with them. It almost makes the original Little Mermaid, itself a twisted abomination of Anderson's original story...artistic...which is sad. I will continue to approach the Cinderella III's and the Little Mermaid prequels of the world with extreme prejudice. ^_^
Old 08-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Only Disney "cheapquel" I thought was decent was Lion King 1 1/2.

Don't know if you guys know this or not but Toy Story 2 was originally supposed to be a direct2video sequel.

I have to agree though, most direct2video titles end up being crap - like the recent Scorpion King 2!
Old 09-08-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post
Final sequel eh? Your mouth to God's ears. I'll believe it when I see it. Listen...these flicks are complete crap meant to make monies...there is zero art associated with them. It almost makes the original Little Mermaid, itself a twisted abomination of Anderson's original story...artistic...which is sad. I will continue to approach the Cinderella III's and the Little Mermaid prequels of the world with extreme prejudice. ^_^
One of the first decisions John Lasseter made when he took over as Creative Director at Disney was that all those easy money franchise milking direct-to-video sequels would stop.

He didn't state that there would never be anymore direct-to-video sequels but that the ones that were just done quickly without much quality for the sole purpose of milking a franchise would no longer be done.

There were actually a few direct-to-video sequels that were pretty good. This one looks to be quite good all things considered. Bambi II wasn't at all bad. Lilo and Stitch 2 wasn't all that bad (the one with the ton of Stitch wannabes). Lion King 1 1/2 wasn't bad. Jungle Book 2 wasn't bad, either.

Unfortunately, we also had to deal with crap like Cinderella 3. When I saw the trailer for that a while back my jaw just dropped. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Someone over there watched Richard Donner's Superman one too many times.