2008 Olympic Opening Ceremony in HD on Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-22-2008, 05:37 PM

Default 2008 Olympic Opening Ceremony in HD on Blu-ray

Arguably, the 2008 Olympic Games had the most spectacular opening ceremony of all time, and looked all the more impressive in HD from NBC's coverage.

It was for this reason I got really excited when I saw that NBC was promoting the sale of a couple different opening ceremony videos during their coverage of the Olympic Games.

Unfortunately though, when I went to the site they listed, wwwDOTnbcdvdDOTcom (sorry, I'm a new user so it won't let me post a link), all it shows are DVD versions, which of course means they will only be in 480p.

At the bottom of that page was a "Contact Us" link, which I used to send them an inquiry to whether or not they will be releasing any Blu-ray versions, but so far I have yet to get any reply.

I was able to find a site that lists links to where one could download videos of the opening ceremony, but I would much prefer to have it on Blu-ray.

If anyone knows of or hears about any videos of the opening ceremony in HD on Blu-ray, please post let me know by posting here.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:00 PM

I too would love to see the Olympics on Blu-ray. Below is the NBC address I wrote.

http://nbcdvd.com/contact_form.php
Old 08-22-2008, 11:42 PM

Yea it looked really good with the CG fireworks because of the smog and the fake Chinese little girl because the real singer was deemed too ugly by China officials for the world to see.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:18 PM

There is a standard DVD release on DDD House but sadly no Blu version there yet.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:06 AM

Kind of a misleading thread title.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfwasted View Post
Yea it looked really good with the CG fireworks because of the smog and the fake Chinese little girl because the real singer was deemed too ugly by China officials for the world to see.
Woah, I feel like this post has woken me up to the reality of the 2008 Olympics! Time to Rage Against The Machine!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Yea, can't wait to see what Vancouver has in store for their opening ceremony... BTW the CG fireworks (a whole 15 seconds worth) were already explained, and it made perfect sense to use them for safety reasons...
Old 08-26-2008, 01:09 PM

Yeah, sorry you got so cheated by the fake firework effects. Lord only knows when helicopter technology will improve to the point to where it can properly speed up and then fall back on each beat like it did on television.

You're seriously going to find fault with 1 girl's singing that was lip synched and some faked fireworks out of the entire ceremony? Hey, fine. Don't ever watch movies again, because chances are, you're only going to wind up disappointing yourself on a much larger scale.

Quote:
Old 08-26-2008, 03:40 PM

i saw the commercial advertising the dvd too! I hope this gets released on blu-ray...NBC would actually sell a lot of these on blu!
Old 08-26-2008, 04:33 PM

Opening Ceremony was amazingly boring. Yeah, I know a lot of work was put into it, but it was still boring. Bunch of guys moving around at the same time, big whoop. If you got a billion guys to do jumping jacks all in unison, it'd be cool for like five minutes, then get boring. If China wanted to show off how cool they were, they would have had a military parade for their opening ceremony.

0.02 USD