Why the long wait for SHAWSHANK on Blu?! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Banned

Default Why the long wait for SHAWSHANK on Blu?!

Ever since I've been coming here to highdefdigest (since October 2007), I've seen news articles that read, "______ COMING TO BLU". - I click it and read it, and it turns out the said title will be out on BLU aproximately 2 months from the day the article was written. That's cool!

here's an example

HighDefDigest Announcement:
On 8/7/08
"BEETLEJUICE TO BLU on 10/7/08"
thats 2 months!! Sweet!!

HighDefDigest announcement:
On 8/5/07
"POLTERGEIST TO BLU on 10/14/08"
thats 2 months! Excellent!

Why is it taking 9 months for Shawshank Redemption to come out on Blu?

HighDefDigest Announcement:
On 2/25/08
SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION to Blu on 11/4/08
What!? Why bother telling us?! Thats almost a year away when I read that and marked it on my calendar!!
Old 08-08-2008, 10:44 AM

Tell me about it. The Shawshank Redemption was originally going to be released on HD DVD in late 2006. Now we're halfway through 2008, HD DVD has passed away in the meantime, and Shawshank is still not available in HD.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:56 AM

Actually, SR really has been announced, but it is time for "Good News/Bad News":

"The Shawshank Redemption was announced for Blu-ray a few days ago."

"That's good news."

"No, it's bad news. It is a United Kingdom release."

"Oh, that's bad news."

"No, it's good news because it is being released by ITV who have recently released several titles playable here in the U.S."

"That's good news."

"No, that's bad news. Only the movie would be playable in the U.S. Any extra featurettes on the disc would be only payable on a PAL system."

"That's bad news."

"No, that's good news, because so many times featurettes are boring, anyway. You can order it and get the great movie for here."

"Then that's good news."

"No, that's bad news because the exchange rate and shipping will kill you."

"That's bad news."

"No, that's good news because then you can wait for the U.S. release which will have everything playable here."

Here's a link to the Amazon.UK site:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...r-21/ref=nosim
Old 08-08-2008, 12:12 PM

It's probably taking that long, so that it can get the transfer it deserves...

It's coming. This isn't something I want to rebuy, so they can take their time, much like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Indy, etc.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Banned

I just mean, as soon as I come to hddigest.com and read the new "___ COMING TO BLU", I post it... Theyre all usually an announcement for something coming out in 2 months - it makes sense.

But why mention in February that something is coming out in November?

If the studio new they were putting SHAWSHANK on BLU, and it would take some time, why not wait until AUgust (now) or Septemeber to tell us?

They told us so long ago that by the time it comes out, people will have forgotten unless theyre like me and enter it into a calender sytem on their PC
Old 08-08-2008, 04:16 PM

Tell me about it.... I've been waiting since it was supposed to come out on HD DVD holiday 2006. Oh well 2 year delay... transfer better blow my frickin mind that's all I have to say.....
Old 08-08-2008, 05:26 PM

I know that was the #1 movie on IMDb before the whole Dark Knight fever, but is the movie any good? I mean, better-than-'the godfather'-and-the-'LotR trilogy' good?
Old 08-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Banned

SHAWSHANK is great! Like ROAD TO PERDITION great - ACtually, reverse that - haha
Old 08-08-2008, 06:50 PM

still got my HD DVD insert saying Coming 2006.
also: I feel this has probably been finished long ago, and has just been sitting around. Hopefully it will look fantastic. After this epic wait it damn sure better.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Lugo View Post
I know that was the #1 movie on IMDb before the whole Dark Knight fever, but is the movie any good? I mean, better-than-'the godfather'-and-the-'LotR trilogy' good?
Yes, it really is good. Not better than The Godfather, imo, but better than the LotR trilogy as a whole.