'The Big White' - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-01-2008, 07:43 AM

Default 'The Big White'

Since there was no dedicated thread solely for 'The Big White' (outside the bargain section) I decided to make one.

I just got done watching it and was quite suprised. I went in with no expectations at all. Prior to the thread saying it was $8.95 on AMZ, I had never even heard of it.

I'm not going to try to do a review on it because it would suck, but I will give some information on it for those who never heard of it. This is a summery from IMDB, with some edits from me:

Quote:
A black comedy centered on Paul Barnell (Robin Williams), a down on his luck Alaska travel agent who's on the brink of bankruptcy and whose beloved wife, Margaret (Holly Hunter), is on the brink of insanity.

So what's a nice guy with good intentions but bad business sense to do? The answer lies frozen in a dumpster outside of Barnell Great Escapes-a dead body Paul hopes to pass off as his long-lost brother Raymond (Woody Harrelson)and then collect on the life insurance.

Unfortunately, investigator Ted Watters (Giovanni Ribisi) who's anxious to transfer back to the lower 48 with his girlfriend (Alison Lohman), isn't about to let Barnell walk away with a million bucks. Adding to Paul's avalanche of problems are two aspiring hit men-turned-kidnappers (W. Earl Brown, Tim Blake Nelson) and the stunning return of the supposedly dead Raymond, who now has an ax to grind with his brother. Desperation is running high in the "big white," and if Paul is smart, he'll blow the snow, take the money and run...to South America.
With that said I was very suprised by the movie. IMO it had a great story and the actors did a great job. To me Holly Hunter stood above the rest. She did a great job for her role. Everyone else did a great job to, but she was great.

I'm not going to go into all the A/V mumbo jumbo, because that's not my area of expertise, I will leave that to the big guys. But will say the video also took me by surprise.

My opinion is that everyone should at least rent this, it's a great, great movie. Didn't watch special features, may go back and do it later though. Hope you enjoy the movie if you pick it up, and at $8.95, you can't go wrong.

I give it this:
Movie: 4.5/5
Video: 4/5
Audio: 3/5
Recommended
Old 08-01-2008, 08:18 AM

I saw this about a year ago and the general consensis of most reviewers here in magazines was that compared to a lot of junk that hits the big screen it is criminal that a movie with this cast and is very good goes direct to dvd.

I think the best way to sum up this movie is its something the Cohan Brothers would have made about 5/6 years ago and does have similarities to Fargo beyond just the snow.

Its definately one I would recommend buying.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 AM

I thought that the flick was really corky and had its moments. Great cast too. For those that pick this up for 8.99 youll be suprised.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:11 AM

I just picked this up at Fry's for $8.99. I'll eventually get around to watching it. Seems like it has a good cast and interesting storyline. We'll see
Old 08-03-2008, 01:17 AM

I rented this on DVD when it first came out, and liked it as well. I will eventually grab the BD.

And right now it's only $5.99 @ jr.com:

http://www.jr.com/product/movie/pv/_1161913V/
Old 08-25-2008, 12:18 AM

HighDefDiscNews REview
Finally someone reviews it!!
Old 08-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Former Member

i want this title (ahem randell lol), but i will wait for it to be 7 or lower. echo bay's track record = bad.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1080p View Post
HighDefDiscNews REview
Finally someone reviews it!!
Haha see they pretty much agreed with what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8boss87 View Post
i want this title (ahem randell lol), but i will wait for it to be 7 or lower. echo bay's track record = bad.
No!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:14 PM

This is not a bad title considering it is ECHO BRIDGE. The movie is quite good also.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8boss87 View Post
Nate, I highly recommend this movie. My wife wanted to rent it over a year ago, and I hesitantly agreed. I was glad I did, great movie. The Blu-ray is a strong release as well. PQ was impressive, not "Shoot 'Em Up" impressive, but impressive none the less.