Asian Blu-ray movies and lossless audio - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-22-2008, 06:07 AM

Lightbulb Asian Blu-ray movies and lossless audio

Isn't it ironic that Asian movie companies have the luxury of using DTS-Master audio and uncompressed PCM(mostly in 7.1)in their Blu-ray movies.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:39 AM

Not really, no.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:35 AM

Can you please elaborate why it is ironic? I must be missing something.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkash View Post
Can you please elaborate why it is ironic? I must be missing something.
Asian movie studios typically don't have as much money as Hollywood studios do and most of the imports I've bought over the years (especially the John Woo classic HK movies) have not had the best A/V presentations. However, that is changing.

I bought Assembly from Hong Kong. It is a BD-25 but it has Mandarin 6.1 DTS-MA, and DD EX Mandarin and Cantonese tracks and overall I was impressed with the A/V presentation. Oh yeah, it was a good movie too!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhcr View Post
Asian movie studios typically don't have as much money as Hollywood studios do and most of the imports I've bought over the years (especially the John Woo classic HK movies) have not had the best A/V presentations. However, that is changing.

I bought Assembly from Hong Kong. It is a BD-25 but it has Mandarin 6.1 DTS-MA, and DD EX Mandarin and Cantonese tracks and overall I was impressed with the A/V presentation. Oh yeah, it was a good movie too!
Actually, you can't generalize Asian movie studios in that way. You can make the generalization that from the 90s to the present, movies from the mainland have higher budgets than movies from Hong Kong. Assembly is a production from mainland China which resulted in a very good production. Other notable movies from the mainland are Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon , Farewell My Concubine and Hero.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:34 PM

it is funny however that forgein blu rays always have HD audio as a standard, yet a US company like warner, who makes billions more than those companies... cant even get it right when it comes to HD audio
Old 07-22-2008, 05:36 PM

Speaking of which. Where is Crouching Tiger anyway?
Old 07-22-2008, 05:53 PM

Because movie studios here like to have more then one version, so they can get our hard earn cash twice. In asia if the first one doesn't get you to buy it then the second one won't because by then bootleg versions of the first one are already out.