'The Longest Day' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-11-2008, 02:55 AM

Default 'The Longest Day' - High-Def Digest Review

Kenneth's review of 'The Longest Day' is up. He says the film is admirable, but it's still somewhat disjointed. This Blu-ray is a bit of a mess, with a generous collection of supplements, a decent DTS HD MA track, and video ruined by hideous, rubbery DNR. Give it a rent.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1343/longestday.html
Old 07-11-2008, 03:00 AM
Contributor

Before anybody says it... yes, I know this review was a long time coming.

Sorry for the delay folks. No excuses, it just got lost in the shuffle.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:05 AM

Great review, Ken. I guess I won't be picking this one up. Between this and Patton, Fox needs to get their act together and let go of who ever it is that is applying all this blasted DNR.

Thanks for the review.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:11 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkash View Post
Great review, Ken. I guess I won't be picking this one up. Between this and Patton, Fox needs to get their act together and let go of who ever it is that is applying all this blasted DNR.

Thanks for the review.
I'm working on a review of 'The Sand Pebbles' as we speak. It has a great looking transfer and doesn't have a single spot of DNR. I really wish 'The Longest Day' had looked as good.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:55 AM

By the sounds of it, it appears as if the Canadian forces that attacked one of the five beaches on D-day doesn't even get mentioned in the film. Is this correct? If so, a film striving for accuracy has failed miserably.

On the other hand, perhaps the directors knew they were juggling too many balls with a 2-hour long movie as it was. Still, as a Canadian who knows something of the sacrifices that many of the soldiers made, if the Canadians aren't mentioned, it's a dealbreaker for me.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:56 AM

well this edition absolutely blows the sd version out of the water, but of course the over-use of the dnr is very regrettable. Hopefully the studios will get with the program and realize that these pathetic "grain-scrubbing' practices are not wanted or warranted. That said, the sd version looks absolutely horribly blurry compared to this Blu-Ray.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:40 AM

Of the five new Fox war related releases. Patton and The Longest Day are by far the best.

A Bridge To Far and Battle of Britian are single layer MPEG2 releases with no extras.

This movie and Patton are the full deal.

This movies looks and sounds great.

This review is shocking. I would suggest reading other reviews before passing on this gem.

I won't post links but they're not hard to find.

Fox has done a bad job in the past, including delaying movies over and over again.

Luckily, this wasn't one of the them.

In regards to the movie itself. Perhaps the best WWII movie ever with the best cast ever assembled for any Hollywood movie in the entire history of cinema.

As a Canadian, i'm not offended by this movie.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:50 AM

I stopped reading the review when he stated that it was based on a novel...
Old 07-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Banned

Default A Disadvantage Of Hi Def

not all movies are meant to be in hd..this is a good example..I watched it and did not find it as bad as described....but if you think this looks wrong wait till the Godfather hits HD..a classic all time great movie,filmed dark and meant to be that way, Hd can only hinder it's look and it certainly cannot improve the movie..we just have to accept that the sd versions are more accurate to film presentation than hd versions..not everything is meant to look like a 3d ,cgi cartoon and sound that way...there is a huge difference between a great classic film and the pump them out every week films of today

as far as the Canadiens part in D-Day..remember this was filmed in the early 60's by a very racist and prejudiced America and that included the film industry...it's more of a promotional film of every popular, and soon to be popular actor,check out Sean Connery pre James Bond,and Gert Frobe, Goldfinger himself
Old 07-11-2008, 10:04 AM

don't quite get "The Godfather" opinion.
They have done a very meticulous restoration with the director's direct involvement and NO grain scrubbing. That title SHOULD be absolutely amazing, and I cannot wait personally.