Bars "hiding" picture - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-02-2008, 01:50 PM

Default Bars "hiding" picture

This issue isn't inherent to just BDs ... I believe I've seen it in DVDs, too, but I figured this was the best place for it, so ...

Has anyone ever noticed that when playing a movie, that if you look closely at the top and bottom black bars, you can see through them and actually see where the picture continues?

Seriously. And I've seen this happen with many movies. For instance, if there is a person's head on screen ... and the top bar cuts off part of their head ... if you look closely at the bar, you see that it's somewhat transparent ... and you can actually see more of the person's head through it!

Of course, you know what this means ... WE'RE NOT GETTING THE WHOLE PICTURE! And those black bars are actually hiding some of it!

I thought the whole purpose of the bars was to take up empty space ... not to cover up part of what's on screen.

P.S. Or is this similar to the overscanning done in tv broadcasting?
Old 07-02-2008, 01:58 PM

First off, read this:

Why Don't the Black Bars Go Away?

The black bars are not transparent or translucent. Unless you have a specific example where you've seen this, with time code, I recommend not taking drugs before watching movies.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:00 PM

I've never seen this myself. Black bars are the absence of image on all my TVs and panels. No ghostly or half-transparent heads or additional imagery hiding back there... not that I've seen in the tens of thousands of hours of movie watching I've done on DVD (and recently Blu-ray and HD DVD).

Could you possibly be getting some other signal or interference?

-comix
Old 07-02-2008, 02:01 PM

no absconding images here
Old 07-02-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
First off, read this:

The black bars are not transparent or translucent. Unless you have a specific example where you've seen this, with time code, I recommend not taking drugs before watching movies.
LOL, my thoughts exactly
Old 07-02-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
First off, read this:

Ha, ha ... very funny. Hey, isn't there some policy that prohibits staff from acusing members of being druggies?!

But seriously. I'm not saying that the bars are exactly "see-thru". They are black ... but I'll put it this way ... if the bar is around 3 inches thick ... the first inch or so, closest to the picture ... if you look hard enough, you can see the continuation of the image behind the bar ... after that first inch or so, it gets darker and the image ends.

To give an example, I watched Vantage Point last night ... and I could see it then. It's easier to see when the image at the bar's edge is something lighter, like a sheet. That's what made me start noticing initially.

The fact that I can see this and others can't, might be caused by my tv's brightness, contrast or black settings ... maybe. And it's probably not something that you would see right away ... but if you looked really hard, you might.

Also, the link you provided kind of gave a possibility of why it happens ... the "open matte".

P.S. I don't even drink.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:04 PM

In my nearly 30 years of movie enjoyment, I've only seen translucent bars once, and that's in the PS3's info screen when you hit "Select".
Old 07-02-2008, 03:18 PM

My bars aren't see through but the bars are a matting covering the image. I think most film is square so there is more captured by the film than is shown in theatres or on tv. When DVD first came out and movies that I owned on vhs were being released on dvd in widescreen I did a little experiment with picture in picture. I put the dvd of Seven in one picture and the vhs of Seven in the other. In the same scene the difference between the full screen vhs and the widescreeen dvd was the full screen image had the top and bottom matting removed. I thought there would be more side info on the widescreen image, I thought the widescreen image would be all that the full screen had plus peripheral data. It wasn't. They both had the same width. Instead on the full screen I could see more background above their heads and I could see below their waists.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 PM

Never seen this personally but I know of one instance where it is. It was either the Re-animator or Bride of Re-animator DVD that gave you the option to view the film either in fullscreen or widescreen. Now instead of having two versions of the film on one disc they have the open matte fullscreen version and with the use of the Angle button on your remote it places two black bars to frame it in widescreen.

Now all films are shot "fullscreen" and then matted to get the right frame for theatrical release or widescreen TVs. So technically they are not giving us the full picture but we were never meant to get it in the first place.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:37 PM

I'm not saying that this happens on all movies. But apparently, on some that have used that "matte" method, the black bar is not opaquely-black ... not where the edge meets the picture anyway.

I don't do drugs ... I don't drink ... and medically, I'd have 20/20 vision, except for the fact that one of my eyes is actually better than the other.

Maybe that's it ... I'VE GOT X-RAY VISION!