Dragon Wars (D-War) Is it that bad that it's good? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-30-2008, 08:52 PM

Red face Dragon Wars (D-War) Is it that bad that it's good?

I was thinking of picking up Dragon Wars on Blu tomorrow. I've read the reviews with most being negative but a few have taken the "it's so bad it's good" result and this has me intrested.

I'm a massive fan of B movies (Godzilla type flicks) and was wondering if someone with that sort of taste would honestly enjoy the movie on Blu?

Just for the record, for those that are wondeing why the fuck I'd even consider this film, my wife is going to see Sex and the City tomorrow and I'd rather pull my eyes out and shove them in my ears than see that. As I have the house to myself I thought it would be perfect for me to get a movie in to enjoy myself.

If not I'll pick up something like I am legend to be safe.

Last edited by chaz_uk; 05-30-2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: iPod touch is terrible to write with
Old 05-30-2008, 09:11 PM

It really is. But if this is the purpose then wait for a B2G1
Old 05-30-2008, 09:13 PM

I liked it a little, but I like movies with loud noises this had it and pretty dragon looking things
Old 05-30-2008, 09:29 PM

Dragon Wars was terrible... I was expecting something decent from a Korea, instead I got a terrible story that made no sense and was full of bad acting. I paid 8.50 to see it in theatres and drove out the way.... Waste of money.

BTW I think someone is selling the Blu-ray on DVDtalks and/or on this forum for like 13 bucks.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadrian View Post
Dragon Wars was terrible... I was expecting something decent from a Korea, instead I got a terrible story that made no sense and was full of bad acting. I paid 8.50 to see it in theatres and drove out the way.... Waste of money.

BTW I think someone is selling the Blu-ray on DVDtalks and/or on this forum for like 13 bucks.
i got it for free, due to teh b2g1 mail in, and despite not having watched it yet, i bet i still overpaid. everything i've heard is awfully caustic about this one. so ..... you're doing it at your own risk.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:12 PM

DO NOT BUY THIS CRAP! I have it on DVD and its just HORRIBLE! I love dragon-type movie's, I even liked the American version of Godzilla, but Dragon Wars is something different! It's probably one of the worst movies I have EVER seen in my entire life! Just rent it if you want to see how NOT to make a movie, but don't buy it!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:13 PM

If you want to give your sub and audio system a workout, the battle scenes are pretty cool in Dolby True HD. Being a fan of recent Godzilla movies, I found this one no worse than Godzilla Final Wars or Tokyo SOS, but I'm a sucker for cheesy Japanese/Korean monster flicks. I'll tell you one thing, I'll take this movie over a steaming pile like Fantastic Four ROTSS any day of the week. Now that is one piece of crap!
Old 05-30-2008, 11:05 PM

If you like b movies and godzilla you'll like D-Wars. I thught it was decent.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:14 PM

I grew up being a godzilla fan and i still hated this movie.... the story made zero sense, i had no idea what was really going on, the action scenes where kind of cool... but its not a movie i would ever watch again... and im sorry but better than rise of the silver surfer? You HAVE to be joking... that movie actually had people that can act their way through a paper bag.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:36 AM

Well, i LOVED godzilla movies ( own every one!) and I love dragon movies. I thought Dragon Wars was kinda cheesy, but worth a watch even just once. The effects are pretty good, much better than you would expect a foreign movie to have. Now the real problem is the acting. The human actors are pretty awful, you can tell they are probably C list, even in Korea. The story doesnt make total sense, but then again, what movie with dragons or giant monsters DOES make sense? I saw it in the theater and even bought it on BD. If you watch it with an open mind, its not bad at all.