Peter's review of 'Battle of Britain' is up. He say it's an
impressively-mounted spectacle, but it's lacking as a narrative. The
characters are ciphers, and the drama inert. This Blu-ray delivers
solid video and audio, but no supplements (and it carries a high price
tag!) For fans only.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/616/...ofbritain.html
Old 05-29-2008, 01:16 AM

Must be delayed because all I am getting arethe basics of the release, no review.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:34 AM

Its up.
hmmm.looks like the only great transfers omint from these old films I'd The Longest Day and Patton. Which are luckily the best
I just dont understand how Fox charges an arm and a leg when they dont even use a new encoding and use the SD discs encoding. Obviously it shows a huge difference when remastered(Patton and Longest Day) while they movie using the DVD source(Battle for Britain, Sand Pebble, Bridge) are only minor upgrades.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:05 AM

The audio portion of the review continues the proud tradition of holding vintage audio to the same standards as recent audio. It's about time to start rating vintage audio for it's merits within it's era's standards. The review suggests that lack of discrete surround action is a liability. Clue, it's a mono movie, originally.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1080p View Post
Its up.
hmmm.looks like the only great transfers omint from these old films I'd The Longest Day and Patton. Which are luckily the best
Yup, Battle of Britain and A Bridge Too Far have vanished from my 'to get' list after these underwhelming hidef debuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1080p View Post
I just dont understand how Fox charges an arm and a leg when they dont even use a new encoding and use the SD discs encoding. Obviously it shows a huge difference when remastered(Patton and Longest Day) while they movie using the DVD source(Battle for Britain, Sand Pebble, Bridge) are only minor upgrades.
Nor me. BoB, ABTF and Sand Pebbles were all remastered for DVD re-issue in 2003/2004 so it's not like the materials used were out of the ark but they haven't been helped by MPEG2 encodes and dropping the DVD extras. I can't believe that they squeezed the 2 hour plus Battle of Britain onto BD25 using MPEG2, the current market won't stand for that.

I'll probably pick up Patton and The Longest Day but am bummed to miss A Bridge Too Far, which is my favourite of the bunch.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Banana View Post
I'll probably pick up Patton and The Longest Day but am bummed to miss A Bridge Too Far, which is my favourite of the bunch.
Amazon currently offers a Blu-ray War Classics Bundle (Patton / The Longest Day / Sand Pebbles) at 45% off, I might go for that offer:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...0080_fe_img_1/
Old 05-29-2008, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the review!! I personally think the movie is better than that but each person has their own opinion.

I'll be picking this up at some point in the future when the price is a little lower. The other 4 war movies coming out the same day will keep me busy until then.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:41 AM

I have seen many reviews of the 2 war movies that have been out for a while, and they have been mostly positive. Don't cheat yourself Kid!
just get them and see for yourself. I bet you will me quite happy with the results even with mpeg 2 which I have criticised to no end. Hopefully we are almost to the end of the mpeg2 releases. That said, these are what we have, and they are definitely better than the "regular" versions.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:06 PM

This guy Bracke clearly has some issues when it comes to writing about the film itself and not about video or audio quality. But what can you expect from a guy who gives 1.5 stars to Crash and 4 stars to Enchanted
Old 05-29-2008, 04:34 PM

I love the random Michael Bay jab. Remember its so hard to be on the side that sites on a couch and writes about a movie but easy to be the one actually making it