Toughts on AvP: Requiem and Fantastic 4: ROTSS - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-28-2008, 11:14 PM

Default Toughts on AvP: Requiem and Fantastic 4: ROTSS

Any owners out there? I noticed them for $18 at walmart and thinking about picking them up. Seem to be very good transfers, but the movies themselves got average reviews.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

AVP: Requiem was stupid imo, and is too dark to really notice much detail, although black levels are great.

F4: ROTSS is a good popcorn flick, with an impressive video/audio presentation to boot. I would recommend that one.

Did you like Alien Vs. Predator? IF so you might like Requiem, but it was disappointing in all categories other than audio though. The transfer isn't at fault, more of the actual source...dark dark dark.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:00 AM

I think F4 is worth a buy if you liked the movie. I would stay away from AVP I was disappointed in it even as a rental. The pq is good but the actual movie is horrible.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:02 AM

I disagree that it was too dark. It is really clear unlike in the theatre. I enjoyed it for a B horror movie.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:58 AM

Strongly recommend renting AVP-R first, even if it's on DVD just to see if you can stand the movie. I rented it and I'm glad I did. I would have to kick my own ass if I blind bought this movie on BD. It was terrible IMO, and that's coming from someone who often enjoys B-movies, and mostly liked the first AVP.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1080p View Post
I disagree that it was too dark. It is really clear unlike in the theatre. I enjoyed it for a B horror movie.
I'm just the opposite. I didn't find it to dark in the theater. Now with Blu-ray I can't see shit!

Reminds me of DOOM 3.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:47 AM

I thought FF:ROTSS was even worse than the first FF movie. In an age where comic-based movies can be as good as Batman Begins and Iron Man, there is no excuse to be as lame as the FF movies.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:49 AM

I hated the first FF movie (they took WAY too many liberties with Doctor Doom's origin/powers), but was surprised to really enjoy FF2. Fantastic Four has always been a more friendly, lighthearted comic book and I thought this movie captured that spirit pretty well.

There's nothing "dark" or "gritty" about it nor are there any socipathic or otherwise troubled anti-heroes. Its basically a family friendly super hero movie. To give it some perspective, its much friendlier than even the Spiderman movies.

As for AvP... not my cup of tee. I'd give up an organ to own Alien and Aliens on Blu-Ray, but these new AvP movies don't quite do it for me.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:51 AM

Both titles are work Purchasing. for AVPR, if your Tv is set up properly it will look fine. But if your set isn't setup right or has bad shadow detail, the movie won't look very good.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:51 AM

AvP:Reqiim is on the way to me as a rental now. I'll going to go rent AvP when the 2nd one shows up and watch both as I have never seen either at all. I'm not expecting any Oscar performances but a few hours of cool action sounds fine to me.