'Torchwood: Season One' -- pre-release buzz - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-28-2008, 05:43 PM
PeterB

Default 'Torchwood: Season One' -- pre-release buzz

BBC Video has announced 'Torchwood: Season One' for a September 16 Blu-ray debut:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/torchwood_s1.html

Specs include 1080p/VC-1 video and standard DTS 5.1 Surround audio.

Extras are extensive, with multiple audio commentaries, two multi-part documentaries, featurettes and deleted scenes.

MSRP is $99.98.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:15 PM

Will definately pick this series up.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:19 PM

I love Torchwood, great show, and can't wait till it comes out on Blue Ray!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:29 PM

What is the BD offering over the current HD shows. I already have Season 1 and 2 recording in HD from HDNet. Unless the BD offers some significant extras I can't see myself purchasing it. It's recorded with HD video cameras so I'm not sure if the BD will offer much improvement in video quality from what I already see.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What is the BD offering over the current HD shows. I already have Season 1 and 2 recording in HD from HDNet. Unless the BD offers some significant extras I can't see myself purchasing it. It's recorded with HD video cameras so I'm not sure if the BD will offer much improvement in video quality from what I already see.
I almost feel as if there should be a rule in the "pre-release buzz" threads against threadcrapping with "I won't get this" posts. If you're not planning on getting it, why post?

Anyway, here's the reasons:
Quote:
Specs include 1080p/VC-1 video and standard DTS 5.1 Surround audio.

Extras are extensive, with multiple audio commentaries, two multi-part documentaries, featurettes and deleted scenes.
Right off the bat, you have higher bitrates and a more efficient codec, which easily beat the HD broadcasts of the UK version, let alone the nasty encodes I've seen off HDnet. In addition, if you're interested in the extras, you get commentaries, the "Torchwood Declassified" behind-the-scenes that the US doesn't broadcast and can reach 45m each, plus the featurettes and deleted scenes.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:27 PM

One quick question. It states that it will release on September 16 day-and-date with the standard DVD (first season) but the problem with that is Season 1 is already out on DVD and September 16 is the date that the second season is supposed to come out on DVD. So are we really just getting the first Season on Blu while we get the second season on DVD on the same day??? Why not just release both on Blu? I for one am hoping they release both season on Blu on September 16.

Quote:
The futuristic British drama enjoyed an instant cult audience after it first premiered last year, and its freshman year will hit Blu-ray on September 16, when BBC debuts 'Torchwood: The Complete First Season' (day-and-date with the standard DVD).
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/875/875375p1.html

Quote:
May 20, 2008 - Torchwood fans rejoice! BBC Video has just announced exclusively to IGN DVD that Torchwood: The Complete Second Season will release to DVD on September 16, 2008. Loaded with bonus materials including a baker's dozen of behind-the-scenes featurettes, deleted scenes, outtakes and more, Torchwood will time-travel to DVD shelves for an SRP of $79.98.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Awe hell, guess I need to hit the newsgroups and get season 2, didn't know it was airing yet, gah!

Well, if it's released in the states (knowing that BD has that wonderfully purposeful region coding) I will pick it up and if I don't have a BD player by then, I will after this.

Does anyone know if it will be released in the states? Or if not, if it will have region coding? After all, we wouldn't want this to be sold legally to the fans if they are not in the UK, now would we?

Last edited by rmoody; 05-29-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:00 PM

I'm confused. Are you referring to Season 1 or 2?

As for the "wonderfully purposeful" region coding, the majority of Blu-rays are region-free, unlike DVD, so it's actually less "purposeful". Besides, BBC still uses Warner as a distributor AFAIK, and since they've always been region-free on Blu-ray (both in the US and overseas) I'd guess they would be here too.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
I'm confused. Are you referring to Season 1 or 2?

As for the "wonderfully purposeful" region coding, the majority of Blu-rays are region-free, unlike DVD, so it's actually less "purposeful". Besides, BBC still uses Warner as a distributor AFAIK, and since they've always been region-free on Blu-ray (both in the US and overseas) I'd guess they would be here too.
Good to know about the Warner info, thanks. I can rest easier now on that at least. At any rate, I guess I will be purple by September at least. I just hope the new Panny will be affordable by then, just don't want a PS3 for some reason (even though it's a great player).
Old 05-29-2008, 03:27 PM

Ive caught a few episodes here and there for this show. It seems decent.... but I have to ask.... why does it looks like it was shot in someones back yard? It has a very Soap Opera-ish look to it. Its hard to explain.... but it seems very home-made to me.

Pardon my igonorance if it IS home-made.