Blu-ray releases = unreliable - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-27-2008, 11:55 AM

Angry Blu-ray releases = unreliable

This is really starting to get to me. I was so looking forward to getting my copy of Rambo today and no one in my city has it for sale. How in the world is Blu-ray going to catch on if you cant even reliably get a copy on Blu-ray the same day its available on DVD? This isn't the first time that this has happened to me either. I've now been through this on several occasions
I have been really trying to promote Blu-ray to my friends and family however if this is the kind of thing that can be expected when movies release it really doesn't instill confidence in the format.

Yep I called:

Wal-Mart (2 Locations)
Future Shop
Blockbuster (2 Locations)
Rogers Video
Zellers (2 Locations)
Jumbo Video (2 Locations)
Super Store (2 Locations)

And none of them had it on Blu-ray for sale. So a movie can release and be advertised as releasing on a certain day and then just not show up?

I'm really starting to get frustrated at the lack of any sort of consistency when it comes to Blu-ray.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn4rf View Post
This is really starting to get to me. I was so looking forward to getting my copy of Rambo today and no one in my city has it for sale. How in the world is Blu-ray going to catch on if you cant even reliably get a copy on Blu-ray the same day its available on DVD? This isn't the first time that this has happened to me either. I've now been through this on several occasions
I have been really trying to promote Blu-ray to my friends and family however if this is the kind of thing that can be expected when movies release it really doesn't instill confidence in the format.

Yep I called:

Wal-Mart (2 Locations)
Future Shop
Blockbuster (2 Locations)
Rogers Video
Zellers (2 Locations)
Jumbo Video (2 Locations)
Super Store (2 Locations)

And none of them had it on Blu-ray for sale. So a movie can release and be advertised as releasing on a certain day and then just not show up?

I'm really starting to get frustrated at the lack of any sort of consistency when it comes to Blu-ray.
From the sound of it you're located in Canada... I think Canada probabaly got the short shaft... I know that Alliance is Lionsgates' distributor in Canada, and they always seem to be a bit of a hassle. (They generally don't use the same disc builds as in the US.)

From what I've heard, the discs were just pressed a couple weeks ago.

fitprod
Old 05-27-2008, 12:16 PM

This is why I tend to purchase online...well, that and the prices are better. Never had a problem with Amazon.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:20 PM

If you purchase from US Amazon you have to wait 10 days after release and pay shipping anyways to get the movie so it doesn't really help in Canada.If the movie actually shows up in stores ontime then you have to wait.
There are lots of movies that have yet to show up here (like Dogma).
Old 05-27-2008, 12:20 PM

Yes I am in Canada, I just tried to order through Amazon.ca and they are "Temporarily Out of Stock" looks like I'll be without Rambo till Friday (That seems to be the date when most stores said to check back.)

I'd bite the bullet and buy it on DVD but then I'd be stuck with an inferior copy.

Too bad as well Future Shop was offering 5$ off the Blu-ray original trillogy today. Wonder if I could get a rain check on that?
Old 05-27-2008, 12:27 PM

Friends in Canada don't recommend their friends in Canada try to find/buy any Blu-rays (especially new releases) in Canada. Just order from Amazon.com and save yourself the troubles. It is a nightmare trying to find these around these parts and not worth the effort or extra price. I have over 100 Blu-rays and less than 10 were bought in Canada.

There are shipping fees yes but no taxes. If you order 2 or more movies from Amazon.com to Canada it is generally always cheaper in total than buying in Canada and in my experience (20+ orders) releases almost always get shipped out on Mondays (the day before release) and show up in my mailbox on that Friday (sometimes they show up on the Thursday and sometimes it is the monday which is 6 days after release day).
Old 05-27-2008, 12:31 PM

does Amazon.com deliver to Canada? I tried to get something delivered just before Xmas and I had to ship it to a friend in NYC then have them mail it to me.

(Of course I might have done something wrong)
Old 05-27-2008, 12:32 PM

They will deliver movies and books to Canada no problems. I don't think they will deliver anything else here though.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:33 PM

Yep guess thats what I'm going to have to do. I looked for Blade Runner here until late February before it started showing up in stores.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:24 PM

bestbuy and walmart both had it in today

needless to say i went to bestbuy first and paid 5 dollars more