Just tell me that this wouldn't be awesome... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-25-2008, 03:05 AM

Default Just tell me that this wouldn't be awesome...

Universal Monsters classics box set dated as this year's major Halloween release: Frankenstein, the Mummy, Dracula, Wolfman, Creature from the Black Lagoon and more.

Any probability to this? I know this would probably sell as much as "Forbidden Planet" on HD DVD did, so that doesn't sound too good for any hopes of this.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:14 AM

I'd be happier with well...Forbidden Planet honestly.

But your idea sounds great too. I'm not holding my breath though...unless we can think of a good tie in that would make it sensible (beyond the regular Halloween timeframe).
Old 05-25-2008, 07:32 AM
formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER

i remember how people were jerks when i posted it would be great to see those classics on hddvd back when uni was red. so dont be surprised if people act the same way on here.

personally i would love to see these movies on bluray this halloween, along with some of hitchcocks classics like psycho and vertigo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tons of puppies View Post
Universal Monsters classics box set dated as this year's major Halloween release: Frankenstein, the Mummy, Dracula, Wolfman, Creature from the Black Lagoon and more.

Any probability to this? I know this would probably sell as much as "Forbidden Planet" on HD DVD did, so that doesn't sound too good for any hopes of this.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER View Post
i remember how people were jerks when i posted it would be great to see those classics on hddvd back when uni was red. so dont be surprised if people act the same way on here.
Well, bring them on then, I say. There's no reason to be a fan of movies of the genre and not want to see the classics restored. Even if some of the effects' flaws might be more visible, there is no doubt the benefits will make the experience much better.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tons of puppies View Post

how would this be awesome???? these movies are ten years younger than my grandparents.

the transfers would still look awful.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
how would this be awesome???? these movies are ten years younger than my grandparents.

the transfers would still look awful.
The age of a film has very little to do with how good the Blu-ray might be, and if you did some research on film archiving you'd know that black & white film ages far better than colour film. Look at Casablanca, for example.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squozen View Post
The age of a film has very little to do with how good the Blu-ray might be, and if you did some research on film archiving you'd know that black & white film ages far better than colour film. Look at Casablanca, for example.
casablanca looks great but the age of the film most certainly affects how it would look on hd format, whether its 70 years old or 10 years old.

blade runner for one looks incredible in hd but it still doesnt look anywhere as close as i, robot or no country for old men because of it's age. i did forget about casablanca, and if those movies looked as good as casblanca then maybe it would be worth making them but i know i wouldnt bother picking them up, wayyyy before my time.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:46 PM

Just because they came out before you were born desn't mean you can't enjoy them. I'm a big fan of classic cinema and would really like to see these films in HD.

I would LOVE to see The Maltese Falcon in HD
Old 05-25-2008, 11:49 PM

I'm only 20 and the classic movies are always-to-usually the better ones; in my opinion, of course. They age remarkably well, and film HD restoration would bring out these classics in a tremendous way. They just don't make movies like they used to.

The age of the film has nothing to do with the quality of the restored transfer, unless it was shot on video and not actual film.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
Just because they came out before you were born desn't mean you can't enjoy them. I'm a big fan of classic cinema and would really like to see these films in HD.

I would LOVE to see The Maltese Falcon in HD
I second this. I just saw bits and pieces of another Bogart film, Action in the North Atlantic, and I'm in love with that movie. I checked Amazon, the 2006 release Warner DVD is out of print which leads me to believe a new version is in the works and according to Warner all those re-releases will have Blu-rays to coincide. So, here is hoping to soon. Of course, I'm still chomping at the bit for L.A. Confidential.