BD's and "digital copies" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-23-2008, 03:06 AM

Default BD's and "digital copies"

I see some BD's come with the digital copy thing that you redeem on itunes. So I guess that would mean if you rent a BD from Netflix you wouldn't be able to use the Digital Copy? Just wondering..
Old 05-23-2008, 03:10 AM

I doubt it. Im sher you have to put a in a serial number from the box or something.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:57 AM
formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER

well seeing how the digital copy that is included with select bluray movies is actually on a seperate standard dvd disc.
i would say no you wouldnt be able to simply because, netflix is only going to send you disc 1(the actual bluray disc)
Old 05-23-2008, 09:17 AM

I know from the AVP R disc that there was a separate DVD and a validation code on an insert that was in the packaging. So it is highly doubtful that you would be able to gain access to the digital copy from a netflix rental. Also, you can only use the validation code once.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:22 AM

I have one digital copy (Juno)

I got an email from fox, this is what they said:

If you accidently delete the digital copy, you have to reactivate it by emailing them. Such a hassle. I bought the disc, I should be able to play it whenever I want.

Now if they come out with BD/DVD combo format (like what HD DVD did), that'll be way better than 'digital copy'
Old 05-23-2008, 09:25 AM

These digital copies strike me as completely idiotic. I mean, if someone is spending their money to purchase a film in high defintion (you know for improved audio/video over SD-DVD) why would the studios think that that very same person who clearly cares about a/v quality would want to watch that same movie on a 3 inch screen? I wish the studios would spend their time/money on getting more titles released, better features, or just pass along the cost reduction of not having a digital copy to the consumer.

But, to address the OP...you cannot get them from a netflix rental. The digital copy is on a second disc seperate from the feature film and a validation code also comes in the packaging.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
why would the studios think that that very same person who clearly cares about a/v quality would want to watch that same movie on a 3 inch screen?
Because that person's 50" HDTV and 5.1 surround system aren't very easy to take to a waiting room, or on a bus ride, on a flight, etc. It's for portability. The digital copy isn't meant to be watched in your living room.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
Because that person's 50" HDTV and 5.1 surround system aren't very easy to take to a waiting room, or on a bus ride, on a flight, etc. It's for portability. The digital copy isn't meant to be watched in your living room.

Obviously, but why watch a movie on a 3-inch screen when that person had the 50'' HDTV at home? I mean does anyone need to watch AvP, Rambo, or Juno that badly?(waiting room/rush hour) It just seems to me like a completely useless feature and I would rather the studio spend their time and money on something other than a watered down version of a film I just bought.

The best argument for it is the whole "well, I want to watch it on my laptop" argument, but then just get a laptop with a BR drive. Combo discs were a better idea if for nothing else than people could just throw them in their standard DVD drives..

And what is the demographic they are targeting with these digital copies? The young, tech-savy "had the movie on their iPod while it was still in theaters" group?

Sorry, I cannot be sold on digital copies.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:45 AM

I put the digital copies on my laptop, then stream them through my 360 via media center to the room without a BD player. So, it has at least that one small benefit. But, I could do without them.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:59 AM

It's a great idea for a 10hr plane ride! I'm happy about digital copies, I don't see a reason to wish they didn't exist. It's just something extra, if you don't use them, ignore them.