'A Bridge Too Far' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-21-2008, 01:02 AM

Default 'A Bridge Too Far' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of 'A Bridge Too Far' is up. He says its a stodgy, slow
paced, but well staged war epic that may appeal to fans of the genre.
This Blu-ray boasts strong video, problematic audio, and almost no
extras. A rental for all but diehard fans.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/617/bridgetoofar.html
Old 05-21-2008, 01:24 AM

I asked my dad if he liked any of these "Father Day BDs"
He said the only good one is Patton
Old 05-21-2008, 01:34 AM

I dunno, I ve always liked this film, even as a kid I was always entertained. To bad about the audio, and it would have been nice if the video at least compensated for it. Guess I ll wait until the price comes down.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:43 AM

The film is very good... don't let the movie review put you off, it's a classic.
Since it depicts a massive military blunder which many thousands of people were involved in, it's naturally going to feel fragmented, how could it not? That's almost the point.
It's very entertaining and if anyone likes Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers it's a must see.... better than Patton as well, that drags on a bit.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:15 AM

I can just about remember watching this the odd few times as a kid on tv (being 25 now), and I seemed to remember enjoying it. The main reason being that it was one of the few epic films that existed at at the time which wasnt a mythical story.

But I guess if i watched it now, I might think differently with having an adult head on my shoulders.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:26 AM

Default This is one of the classic war films IMO

Up there with In Harm's Way, Hell if For Heroes and Cross of Iron.

If the PQ is happening, I am there

j
Old 05-21-2008, 09:37 AM

I think the movie itself is a lot better than that but each person can have their own opinion.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:50 AM

Never seen this movie, but i really enjoyed The Longest Day and Patton. I hope they remake Von Ryans Express with Frank Sinatra on blu.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdssrugby View Post
I dunno, I ve always liked this film, even as a kid I was always entertained. To bad about the audio, and it would have been nice if the video at least compensated for it. Guess I ll wait until the price comes down.
Likewise. I'll snag this if the price is right with no questions asked. I still love this movie. If you are a WWII enthusiast and like movies somewhat, get it. My grandfather is a WWII veteran of the Battle of the Bulge and was stuck behind German lines for a week and half encountering German unit after German unit. He finally spoke about the horrors a few years back in a published diary that I have. Lets just say he had to kill more than a few Germans. He was also promoted to a Captain behind the lines when his was killed a few feet from him. This purchase will go in honor of him along with all the other great WWII blu's coming out.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:47 PM

Yet another review where absolutley - Peters tastes don't mesh with mine. I don't know how why this film deserves 2 stars and Blades of Glory deserves 3 1/2. A Bridge to Far was a classic WW2 movie, but I suppose you have to like them just as you would have to like Will Ferrel to watch his movies.