upcoming movies that netflix has listed as getting a blu version but no release date - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-20-2008, 06:22 AM

Default upcoming movies that netflix has listed as getting a blu version but no release date

should we really put any stock in this or not? i mean, yeah... they're hardly going out on a limb when they say that Iron Man, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, and Forbidden Kingdom are gonna get blu-ray releases, but Stop-Loss?

I guess what I don't understand is, if we were to assume that they're simply rubberstamping and saying that everything's coming out on blu-ray (which, when looking up the movies that have made $25 million + this year, is basically the impression you'd get), then how do you explain that pictures which've made between 25 and 10 mil are about 50/50 (6/11) for getting a blu-ray listing and flicks between 10 and 5 mil are 4/10?

And what is to be made of Universal? While it might be easy to say, "Oh, other than Doomsday Universal hasn't announced anything," Netflix has Baby Mama and Forgetting Sarah Marshall listed as coming on blu-ray, whereas Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins ($42 mil) and Definitely, Maybe ($32 mil) -- the only $25 mil titles that Netflix is not saying are coming on blu-ray -- are not. To make things stranger, Leatherheads, a Uni flick that made less than either of those two ($30 mil), is listed on Netflix as coming on blu.

If they don't know something, then why is Netflix listing movies like Smart People, Over Her Dead Body, and Run, Fat Boy, Run as having forthcoming blu-ray releases (all of which made less than $10 million) when Superhero Movie ($25 mil) and Mad Money ($20 mil) -- movies that do not have listings for a forthcoming blu-ray release -- have made far more? If they do know something, should those of us who hang on every announcement have reason to get excited when a title we want on HD gets an "Available Formats: DVD and Blu-ray" listing on Netflix, even if it doesn't come with a release date?
Old 05-20-2008, 03:24 PM

hmm... kinda surprised this didn't get any responses.

for those who'd rather not wade through my rambling, perhaps I should try to topline what I was attempting to say:

on forthcoming home video releases, netflix seems to be saying that some titles are coming on blu while others aren't. therefore, does netflix know something, or do they not?

if they don't have any kind of advance information, then why are they saying some titles are coming and others aren't? what's their basis for this? are they throwing darts at a board or something?

if they do know something, then how come those of us who eagerly wait anything resembling an announcement haven't been keeping tabs on this?
Old 05-20-2008, 03:41 PM

Yes, they are makign educated guesses. They can somewhat easily decided which titles they THINK will come to Blu based on the studio, type of movie, or just common sense. Much like we KNOW that a movie is coming out on BLU before an announcment.

At this point in the game, its pretty safe to say ANY film that was made in the last year, that was widely released has a pretty good chance at going BLU, even if the transfer wont be amazing. Its a selling point, ya know.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:08 PM

why does it matter if a movie makes little money?
Old 05-20-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotdvds View Post
They can somewhat easily decided which titles they THINK will come to Blu based on the studio, type of movie, or just common sense.
If that's the case, then how does one explain their guesses with regard to Universal titles? According to Box Office Mojo, they've put out:

Forgetting Sarah Marshall ($55 mil) Blu? Yes.
Baby Mama ($47 mil) Blu? Yes.
Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins ($42 mil) Blu? No.
Definitely, Maybe ($32 mil) Blu? No.
Leatherheads ($30 mil) Blu? Yes.
The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything ($12 mil) Blu? No.
Doomsday ($11 mil) Blu? Yes.

alright, in this test case, we've eliminated studio as a variable. Looking at the box office numbers (which I would consider the "common sense" portion of the equation), it's pretty apparent that there's no predictable correlation between earnings and blu-ray availability... which leaves us with this ephemeral "type of movie" qualification. Just looking at those titles, I can't see what sort of objective criteria would netflix would be using to make their "educated guess" here... which is why I think that they are getting information that the rest of us don't have.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurples View Post
If that's the case, then how does one explain their guesses with regard to Universal titles? According to Box Office Mojo, they've put out:

Forgetting Sarah Marshall ($55 mil) Blu? Yes.
Baby Mama ($47 mil) Blu? Yes.
Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins ($42 mil) Blu? No.
Definitely, Maybe ($32 mil) Blu? No.
Leatherheads ($30 mil) Blu? Yes.
The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything ($12 mil) Blu? No.
Doomsday ($11 mil) Blu? Yes.

alright, in this test case, we've eliminated studio as a variable. Looking at the box office numbers (which I would consider the "common sense" portion of the equation), it's pretty apparent that there's no predictable correlation between earnings and blu-ray availability... which leaves us with this ephemeral "type of movie" qualification. Just looking at those titles, I can't see what sort of objective criteria would netflix would be using to make their "educated guess" here... which is why I think that they are getting information that the rest of us don't have.
Forgetting Sarah Marshall was critically acclaimed as one of the best Apatow movies. Streets in August most likely with 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up. Veggie tales? Kids movie. Doomsday? Cult following. Leatherheads? George Clooney= easy money. As to the rest.... idk.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma626 View Post
George Clooney= easy money.
why would netflix think that Clooney makes Leatherheads on blu-ray easy money, when it grossed less than Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins and Definitely, Maybe, two movies that they're currently "guessing" aren't going to get blu-ray releases?
Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 PM

Interesting thread and nice research...

I have no idea how they're guessing or if they actually have some info on some of those titles. Guess we'll find out soon and then maybe we'll be able to count on netflix as a good resource.

Are Knocked Up and 40 Year Old Virgin slated for August for sure? That'd make sense if Forgetting Sarah Marshall came out the same month, especially because Pineapple Express is in theaters that month too.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:44 AM

netflix is claiming on their site that leatherheads is getting a blu-ray release on september 16th.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Former Member

if your post showing netflix's releases is accurate (TO THIS MOMENT, any title can be announced at the drop of a hat), then i'm super happy that Superhero movie is NOT getting a blu. any parody movie belongs in the dumpster behind a smishmortion clinic (think knocked up....).