'X-Men: The Last Stand' -- High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-10-2006, 05:06 AM
PeterB

Thumbs up 'X-Men: The Last Stand' -- High-Def Digest review

Finally got my hands on the Fox launch titles, and chose to review 'X-Men' first:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/xmenlaststand.html

All in all, a good beginning for Fox. The transfer is a bit grainy, but so is the film. Supplements are lame (though, so was the standard-def DVD). The biggest puzzler is that there is no Dolby Digital track offered (at least in English), so as of now you can only listen to a downconverted DTS-HD track at 1.5mbps. That will change with the PS3 and Pioneer's first Blu-ray player hit, as they have DTS-HD decoders.

Still, this one is worth a look for sure.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Nice review - I don't think I'll be going for this. I picked up the DVD release recently and the movie didn't rock my boat, although the actual transfer of the DVD was of a high standard (and DTS audio was superb!)

On a side note - I thought the PS3 will only core decoding of DTS-HD MA? Afaik, it will not decode the native stream - can anyone confirm this?
Old 11-10-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
The transfer is a bit grainy, but so is the film.
Would you prefer the transfer to take out the film grain from the master? Or would you rather have the transfer stay true to the original? Funny that this would be your main complaint about the film. I guess you gotta keep the HD DVD hope alive.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:05 AM

Tejstar, you are really missing out. If you can, I recommend renting this title at least. The audio alone is something to experience. If it was only the DTS core I was hearing, then I just can not wait for the full DTS-HD MA experience.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post
Would you prefer the transfer to take out the film grain from the master? Or would you rather have the transfer stay true to the original? Funny that this would be your main complaint about the film. I guess you gotta keep the HD DVD hope alive.
Did you NOT read the section about Ratner's affinity for Super35? Peter does reviews according to what "he" likes. We all take it for what it's worth. I think your post is almost over the line by suggesting he has some allegiance to HD DVD. You're trying to undermine his credibility and I don't like that. This isn't smackdown...tone it down.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post
well, it's a film about superheros fighting in a city....so yes, i want it to look perfect. i'm not saying its fox whos to blame but we should'nt have to watch a 2006 movie with alot of grain in the picture. i understand saving private ryan looking grainy cause it's suposed to look like its being shot from a hand held camera....but i don't think thats what x-men was going for? this isn't about blu-ray vs hd-dvd releases.....i also think that almost all paramount hd-dvd releases could have used less grain in their releases as well. universal and warner bros are doing the best job at new hi-def releases so far....or at least their releases look the cleanest to me.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
Did you NOT read the section about Ratner's affinity for Super35? Peter does reviews according to what "he" likes. We all take it for what it's worth. I think your post is almost over the line by suggesting he has some allegiance to HD DVD. You're trying to undermine his credibility and I don't like that. This isn't smackdown...tone it down.
Obviously a review is about what the reviewer likes. I was asking a valid question about his preferences.

So just relax little kitten I never undermined anyone's credibility. Personally I don't care what you like or don't like you are not a moderator.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I guess you gotta keep the HD DVD hope alive.
Normally questions are ended with a "?" yours seems to be missing this feature.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctornd View Post
Tejstar, you are really missing out. If you can, I recommend renting this title at least. The audio alone is something to experience. If it was only the DTS core I was hearing, then I just can not wait for the full DTS-HD MA experience.
Just watched this movie two weeks ago on DVD, not sure whether I could go through it again so soon. Plus the DTS-ES on the DVD was awesome!
Old 11-11-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejstar View Post
Just watched this movie two weeks ago on DVD, not sure whether I could go through it again so soon. Plus the DTS-ES on the DVD was awesome!
I saw it in the Theatre and to me it "felt" like the the move lost backing by the studio and the just rushed it through. I know there were actors complaining about their parts and whatnot so in the end the events leading up to the movie probably spoiled the vibe.

I wouldn't mind owning the Trilogy but it'll be a bit of time before I shell out hte cash as their are plenty of other movies I'd rather own.