Cell Animation: Worth The Extra For Blu Ray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-17-2008, 09:52 PM

Default Cell Animation: Worth The Extra For Blu Ray?

I've always been curious (besides audio) was it really worth buying regular hand drawn cell animation on Blu Ray? Is there really that much extra detail that's being missed. I'm thinking Anime-maybe. Modern American animation? Not bloody likely.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:27 PM

Are we talking television or theatrical features?

Theatrical features definately, television? It depends if it was mastered in HD, be it Modern American animaton or Anime.

fitprod
Old 05-17-2008, 10:50 PM

High Definition brings out the crispness of line detail and subtle pencil strokes in traditional animation. Definitely a worthwhile improvement.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:42 AM

I work in animation and for the most part YES.

Especially for films where the drawings were xerographed onto the cel (101 Dalmations, Robin Hood etc.) It's like having a hi-res scan of the drawing compared to a jpg.

I personally can't wait to see the detail in all of Eyvind Earle's background paintings in Sleeping Beauty. Those are magnificent!

Also, as long as it's not computer enhanced so that the film is modified based on a cleaning program. Case in point is Tex Avery's Droopy set where the computer digitally erased lines that were supposed to be there because it assumed it was dirt. Horrible errors.