Site Suggestion for Review Sorting - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-17-2008, 09:20 PM

Default Site Suggestion for Review Sorting

Hey, I doubt this is the right place to post this, but I have a suggestion for High Def Digest when it comes to sorting movies by rating for the reviews...

Do you think it would be possible to see the movie's average rating WITHOUT the reviewers opinion of the movie itself?

What I mean by that, is most of us here are movie fans and likely are picking up the movies for the fact that they are being released on Blu-ray, not to see them for the first time. So, it would be very helpful to see which movies have a high average rating for video, audio, and special features combined without the movie score. The reviewer may hate a movie we love, but if we sort by "overall" score then the low movie rating score will drop the overall score.

I don't know, this might be a bad idea. What do you guys think?
Old 05-17-2008, 09:32 PM

Why are you letting "reviews" bother you? If you love the film, great! It shouldn't matter what someone else saids on it. They have to average it out for people who might not know about it. They still exist!

It's their suggested "value" of the end product. That's all the score means. If your opinion differs...GREAT! You're not a robot.

I don't really understand why people let scores bother them/dictate. I don't enjoy a film any less if some guy thinks it's a 3 instead of a 5. They write their opinions out instead of just scoring it. So, if reading them leads to you thinking you'll like it...then they did a good job clarifying their dislikes(which could be your likes) to the material.

My biggest qualm with the site is I don't really understand how the PQ grade works. Is it a measure of overall HD performance? Or is a score that's suppose to represent Reference Grade?

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:33 PM

While I can see how it might be helpful for someone blind-buying a BD, I personally disregard the "Movie Itself" portion of the reviews. It's just one person's opinion, which is highly subjective, and if I want to get a general idea of a movie that I've never seen before, I either will go to rotten tomatoes or just rent it myself. I'm here strictly for the PQ and AQ ratings.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Why are you letting "reviews" bother you? If you love the film, great! It shouldn't matter what someone else saids on it. They have to average it out for people who might not know about it. They still exist!

It's their suggested "value" of the end product. That's all the score means. If your opinion differs...GREAT! You're not a robot.

I don't really understand why people let scores bother them/dictate. I don't enjoy a film any less if some guy thinks it's a 3 instead of a 5. They write their opinions out instead of just scoring it. So, if reading them leads to you thinking you'll like it...then they did a good job clarifying their dislikes(which could be your likes) to the material.

My biggest qualm with the site is I don't really understand how the PQ grade works. Is it a measure of overall HD performance? Or is a score that's suppose to represent Reference Grade?
But it doesn't bother me that they review the movie. In fact, I would like them to continue that for those that haven't seen the movie or for the movies I haven't seen yet. However, I want to be able to see how a movie fares with PQ, AQ and the quality of special features (including HD Exclusives) so I can browse through and see which movies would truly be the best value on Blu-ray. The movie review tells me if I should see a movie whether it means renting or buying on DVD or BD... but the other stuff tells me if the movie is worth buying on BD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
While I can see how it might be helpful for someone blind-buying a BD, I personally disregard the "Movie Itself" portion of the reviews. It's just one person's opinion, which is highly subjective, and if I want to get a general idea of a movie that I've never seen before, I either will go to rotten tomatoes or just rent it myself. I'm here strictly for the PQ and AQ ratings.
That's exactly what I mean! If I could see those combined, that would be great.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:11 PM

you were right.
"Feedback" is where this goes.