Why are Japanese BD's so expensive? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-17-2008, 05:56 AM

Default Why are Japanese BD's so expensive?

Example:

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...id-1010657492/

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...e-70-2lmu.html

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B6%E3...1014514&sr=8-4

compared to

http://www.amazon.com/Simpsons-Movie...1014570&sr=8-1

(and amazon isn't noted for being the cheapest store in the world)
Old 05-17-2008, 06:46 AM

Japanese media prices have always been expensive, including DVDs, CDs, HD DVDs etc. as well. The normal MRSP for new HD movie releases is around 5000 yen normally, which is almost $50. DVDs are often at the same pricepoint or 1000 yen cheaper. That's just the pricing level the movie distributors generally use in the Japanese market. New releases can typically be bought at Amazon Japan with 26% discount but the international shipping is not so cheap there. HMV Japan is another source with typically 20% discount available and a bit cheaper international shipping by EMS.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:01 AM

Unfortunately amazon.co.jp have hiked the pre-order price by 50~200 Yens at this moment when inflation is high and when consumers are bitching and moaning about the already prevalent high pricing.

Better to stay away from buying these Japanese BDs as off late I am finding nothing special except for some cool Cover Arts and releasing of couple of rare titles once a quarter.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:14 AM

Yeah I was hoping they'll be roughly the same price as US BD's as it'll save me a few days shipping. But if they're going to inflate the prices like that, wouldn't it be logical to not have the same region code as the united states?

The reason is, if prices are that high, most people import.

In Australia, it's 40 a pop and many people (including me) have gone to the trouble of importing a player from the states. I'd imagine it to be worse in Japan as it's also region A and they don't need to go to the length of importing a player.

How on earth do the local distributors expect to sell any at these prices?
Old 05-17-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnian View Post
Yeah I was hoping they'll be roughly the same price as US BD's as it'll save me a few days shipping. But if they're going to inflate the prices like that, wouldn't it be logical to not have the same region code as the united states?

The reason is, if prices are that high, most people import.

In Australia, it's 40 a pop and many people (including me) have gone to the trouble of importing a player from the states. I'd imagine it to be worse in Japan as it's also region A and they don't need to go to the length of importing a player.

How on earth do the local distributors expect to sell any at these prices?
I don't know this for sure, and I don't care enough to do the research, but I imagine that most US BD releases don't have Japanese subtitles. So importing isn't really an option for them unless the individual happens to understand English or one of the subtitle languages on the disc.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:56 AM

well with the sinking $$ I would think that the "importers" of US based releases are loving life.

btw thisisnian: when did you 'import" your player, and how has that been working out for you?
kind of interested in that.
I want to "import" a region B player at some point so I don't have to worry about that crap anymore.
of course "no English subs" is now the bane of my existence.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:00 PM

Um two weeks ago, from a guy on ebay from Pensylvannia. He gave me the receipt and all, but I'm pretty screwed if it breaks, but I got relatives in Canada which can help me send it back to sony.

It's alright, tested a few discs in it. Gotta love universal voltage transformers

Juno - Region A
Pixar Short Films Collection - Region A/B/C
Simpsons Movie - Region B (didn't work, sold the disc already, got the disc for free anyway)

Nah no point of importing a region B player. Why would you want to do it? The discs are more expensive and they come out later, not to mention ugly fat cases.

I'm pretty screwed for the warranty, shipping is like around 130aud back to Canada, to my cousin's place, oh well if that happens I'd just let my cousin keep my player and import another one. Apparently sony australia won't even touch my console, even if i paid the out of warranty thing.

I'm also pretty scared of a dead bd-rom drive, refraining from playing gta4 or cod4.

The reason I picked the simpsons movie as an example is the fact that I really like the cover but I can't justify an extra 20 dollars for it. Importing from Japan would be awesome as I wouldn't have to wait a week to get it, but with the pricing I might as well take my chances with USPS EMS.

Last edited by thisisnian; 05-17-2008 at 12:22 PM.