Master and Commander: Unofficial Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-15-2008, 03:15 AM

Default Master and Commander: Unofficial Review

After picking up M&C yesterday at Fry's, I just finished watching it. I must say, I don't think I've ever ducked before, while watching a movie.

The picture quality was rather film-like. Some scenes did show some odd brightness/color flashes, while others were somewhat more grainy. Overall, the presentation was very good, though. Skin tones seemed accurate, and colors were spot-on. I'd probably give it a 4-4.5 with the minor deductions for the very few problem scenes.

The DTS-MA audio track was finally able to show me why I went with a NAD 175/975 combo. The dynamics were stunning. The opening battle enveloped the entire room. I was on the ship. Even the quiet scenes kept an active environment, filling the sound field with quite an accurate mix. The bottom end of the mix was tight, but not overpowering. No simple rumble on/off here, like some mixes. Wimpy subs need not apply for this one. I'm not easily impressed with most audio tracks, but this one gets a 5 and a spot as 'demo material' on my shelf.

Other than a few odd spots in the video, I'm giving it a solid 4.5/5(PQ/SQ) and a recommendation for others.

Peter M
Old 05-15-2008, 03:25 AM

Decent review Peter M. Right now I have that nice collector's edition of it on DVD. I MIGHT just pick up this blu-ray version of it now, for a reasonable price or course. Once again, nice review.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:24 AM

Check here for more opinions.

forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=18908

I'm not allowed to post a link at this point. Thanks for your opinion as that score for PQ is the way I saw this movie. I will not be going back to the SD DVD.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 AM

Yup, the DTS-HD master audio track is one of a kind. It is the new reference for BD audio.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:46 PM

DVDTalk gave it a 3/5 for PQ.
Although they are graded by amatuerish reviewers, they usually are close to what Peter has to say about the PQ
Old 05-15-2008, 01:00 PM

I want to see the version they mentioned on Family Guy: Masturbator and Commander.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1080p View Post
DVDTalk gave it a 3/5 for PQ.
Although they are graded by amatuerish reviewers, they usually are close to what Peter has to say about the PQ

I've seen "amateurish reviewers" all over the internet!
But I've never noticed any on "DVD Talk."